Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

2022 MD170 EXT

RVF Regular
Help! I just bought a 2022 MD2 170 EXT with 700 miles on it. Drove it 'cross-country. Went to fill the fresh tank and no water getting to the pump. The pump runs just fine (Pentair Superflo 4008-101). I took the pump off and made sure the diaphragm was not stuck, it wasn't, again pump seems to be running fine. Water is just not getting to the pump. Fresh tank is 70% full. It's my understanding these pumps don't need "priming," but it seems as though that is exactly what it needs? Thanks!

I don’t have your brand, but let me suggest taking a look at the valves in your water bay. On mine, I have a valve that has to be turned one way for use of city water through a hose, and another for use of water from fresh water tank. Also, there is a valve that has to be turned a certain way to allow city water to fill the water tank. Good luck.

All screws on the pump tight? Any air leaks? Prefilter cap on good? I once had a pump that did this. After I replaced it, I took the old one apart. Seeing nothing that appeared wrong, I cleaned it up , put it back together and it ra n fine.

700 miles isn't enough miles to guarantee the system was tested by anyone.

So use compressed air to see if the tank has the port drilled out, you can do this by disconnecting the hose from the vacuum side of the pump!

Run the pump with your finger over the port to see if you have suction!

The air pressure trick should have shown any leaks in the vacuum side hose. Make sure the sediment screen is tight and is secure on the pump.

Still no joy? Hook a piece of hose to the outlet side, put in a bucket and see if you draw water.

Any other help is in your hands!!!
Let us know if we helped, by telling us what you found!!!

I bought it at 700 miles and immediately drove it 2,100 miles. Used the fresh water tank and it worked flawlessly over the 2,100 miles. But then on my first re-fill is when it stopped working, at the end of the trip. I did what you suggested...I think... I'm not sure I was following your directions correctly but I think I got the concept.(to be clear you are not saying to get an air-compressor out and blast air down it through the port? I didn't do that but wanted to ask to be sure, I'm no mechanic, also, I am not sure on vacuum side vs. outlet side, which is which, in my mind I could make an argument for both, kinda like affect/effect :)). But I did disconnect near the filter and put my thumb over it and felt no pull from the pump. I'm guessing the port was drilled out as it did work during the 2,100 mile trip.

I did just have a 40 gallon fuel cell put on at Owl Vans and they did tell me that they un-hung a water line and moved it about a foot and re-hung it; wondering if that is the culprit? But then again, could be a bad pump as I was not feeling suction? I didn't do the hose/bucket thing yet, need to get a hose.

Revised!!! If it has worked then there is no reason to see if the system was assembled correctly. (No air pressure). For the record 10 psi air would bubble in the tank. On the front side of pump head is an arrow that indicates flow direction. Suction side connects to water tank side. Outlet side is pressure side.

If the Suction side was moved then look for a kink.

Thanks Kevin, appreciate all the feedback. I am going to take it back to Owl Van on Friday morning to see if there is a kink in the line etc.

Latest resources

Back