Dutch Star
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
TOW/TOAD
Ram 1500
Fulltimer
No
We have a Dutchstar 4369 and are attending EAA Airventure in Oshkosh this year for the first time (bucket item). We’ve pre-purchased general camping at Camp Scholler. Anyone have any advice or insights on arrival, registration and then, the most important, how to find a location to camp?

I arrive on Saturday 7/22 and am there the whole week.

I’ll be approaching the grounds from highway 26 going north east. I’m assuming I get off on Poberenzy rd and follow signs for express arrival. After getting thru registration then try to find a place to camp. But where? I do not want 24 hour generator and think I want to be close to the airfield. I’m carrying e-bikes. Anyone who has been there have any advice?

Thanks

Dennis

Hello Dennis,

I'll be arriving Thursday, I've been there twice now by RV. First time was with Fantasy RV tours - epicly stupid and expensive, not needed, last year I went without any group setup.

First and foremost, read all the info on the EAA website as I'm sure you've done. I did the express entrance last year, was super smooth, it's just one entrance further down from the non express entrance.

There typically is some horrendous weather event prior or during the time there, last year it was prior making for very muddy conditions where I "almost" got stuck twice. Let's hope this doesn't happen but when you turn off the main roads into camping is where the dirt roads are.

I was thinking of going into the 24hr gen area this year but I'm now at Green Lake CG around 20 miles WSW of OSH and it was a cool night and that's the forecast so I don't see needing 24 HR gen. Quiet hours are 1030 to 0630 so set your AGS as needed (note to self).

Finding a spot isn't hard but it's hectic as there are thousands of RV's at the event. Last year when I almost got stuck I finally unhooked the toad, got the RV in a location and went to find and recover the toad. I'm getting there a little earlier this year but still may disconnect the toad to make things easier.

You won't be close to the flightline, unless you're already there can you get somewhat close but I also don't think close is ideal, you want a good location and some space. Last year it was so full when I arrived on Saturday I think it was, maybe Sunday, I ended up across from the dump station (east), not close, but across from it towards the flightline. It ended up being a very nice and more spacious setup. I have no idea where I'll go this year but one thing I recommend, have the front end of your RV facing the flightline so you can watch any activity while sitting in your coach if you choose. Also think about sun orientation, it can get very hot during the day.

Feel free to PM me and I'll shoot you my cell number.

Ask any additional questions or concerns but in the end, it wasn't hard, just hope we don't get rain and mud!

Camp Scholler Map

Last year I was near 23rd and Arbor. This year I'll probably target somewhere along 25/26/27 and Butternut area.

My hunch is the area around Lindbergh and 29th thru 50 will be taken by this writing and probably have less space, not sure. This is why I'd like to disconnect my toad and hunt a site someway somehow.

Not sure if you have Starlink but the cell networks will be saturated with everyone sending/syncing photos/videos to their cloud or youtube so Starlink is a good thing to have which I'll be using.

Neal

Thank you for the quick response and detailed reply. So helpful. Looking at the color coded map you sent I can see why you are targeting the area near Buttercup. I’ll head that way too. I’ll take your advice and unhook soon after entry to make it easier Will it be clear once I get thru registration how to get to Buttercup area? Do I follow roads or just cut across fields?

No Starlink. I use T-Mobile home. Which has been great so far. Looks like it will be tested.

Follow the roads as you see them on the map then when in the vicinity of where you want to camp you'll follow dirt paths up. It will be very clear and obvious when there.

The event also offers Wi-Fi in areas, don't remember using it.

Make sure you get the EAA app that shows the events and if you want to do seminars, etc. you can go through and tap the calendar icon next to an event you're interested in and build your schedule.

Latest resources

Back