Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Travel Trailer and Tow Vehicle Tire Air Pressure ....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TucsonJack

RVF Regular
Happy 4th Of July to everyone,

Quick question on Tire Air Pressure for tow vehicle and travel trailer.
I pull my travel trailer here in southern Arizona where the temperature ranges from 95 to 110 degrees.
My 2021 Silverado 2500HD crew cab with the duramax diesel calls for 60psi for the front tires and 70psi for the rear tires. I'm running factory Michelin AT2 tires.
My 2022 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL calls for 80psi. I'm running factory Goodyear Endurance tires and off hand I don't remember if they're 15" or 16".
I'm wondering if it would be OK to reduce the tires psi in the tow vehicle and travel trailer by 5 or 10 psi because of the extreme heat build up, etc.
Thank you .......

Tire pressures listed are maximums. They take into account temps. It is a big debate that I have been in many times. You can load your tires to the pressure that the manufacturer says will carry the load you have on them. The trick is knowing the load. I have a 1 ton Ram but never run the 80 lbs in the rear. Because I never have it loaded to the max. I will add that tires generally do not fail from over inflation but do from underinflation.

Tire pressures listed are maximums. They take into account temps. It is a big debate that I have been in many times. You can load your tires to the pressure that the manufacturer says will carry the load you have on them. The trick is knowing the load. I have a 1 ton Ram but never run the 80 lbs in the rear. Because I never have it loaded to the max. I will add that tires generally do not fail from over inflation but do from underinflation.
Thank you.

your a candidate for nitrogen fills and I’m not a huge advocate of nitrogen. You’re also a candidate for high end tires.

you didnt mention gvw s of trailer and truck and how often you travel at these temps. But I would not do a cold fill to max psi on a fifty degree night and then head out on a 115 degree day. So me I’d probably be ten PSI lower than rated max psi cold.

I do more roadside tire changes in the few weeks it’s about or above 100 degrees than I do all year. I recommend upping your roadside service policy make sure you have at least 100 mile coverage.

something to be aware of on travel trailers trailer blow outs destroy trailers often. On top of that the Tow bills to tow them after an axles ripped out of the frame and the floors laying on the highway well let’s just say it’s not cheap. Buy good tires make sure they’re inflated and check them for high temps If you’ve been on the road for a while.

there are also decent TPMS out there that would be a great idea for you.

Thanks for your reply LSG,

My trailer is a Grand Design Imagine 2970RL with a GVWR of 8,995 lbs. The UVW (empty weight) is 7,397 with a cargo carrying capacity of 1,598 lbs. The trailer loaded with all of my gear which is about 550 lbs is just under 8,000 lbs.
The trailer tires are factory installed Goodyear Endurance "E" rated with maximum psi of 80.

The GCWR (combined total weight of loaded truck and loaded trailer) of my Silverado HD is 27,500 lbs. The Curb Weight is 8,160 lbs. The Max payload is 3,190 lbs with a GVWR 0f 11,350 lbs.
The GVWR of my truck with passengers, a full tank of diesel, all cargo, trailer tongue weight & loaded trailer with cargo is approximately 18,000 lbs.

Loaded Trailer 8,000 lbs
Loaded Truck 9,520 lbs
Combined Gross Weight. 17,520 lbs

The truck has factory installed Michelin AT2 tires with max psi 60 front and 70 rear.
The truck and trailer have factory installed TPMS so I can monitor tire pressures while driving.
I'm thinking that I'll follow your advice of 10 psi lower cold because my truck and trailer are not loaded to maximum weights and that the tire pressure settings of trailer 80, truck 60 & 70 are for max weight.

Thanks again ................

Latest resources

Back