Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Can I replace the 1992 fedders A/C with a modern window unit?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Macca

RVF Regular
Hey there,

I purchased a surprisingly sound 1992 Roadtrek popular 190. Only a few issues I can find. The coach A/C is the original Fedders A/C. Plugged into a wall outlet and running only the A/C, the unit blows but it never gets cold. First off, does this have to be connected to a 30amp source to even fully engage and get cold? Also I figured the system needs to be charged. On the flip side, it looks like a 12" by 20" window unit in the back with a back vent area. Can I just replace this with a small window AC? Im wondering if that is a better idea. Im also wondering if id need a catch tray and drain tube for condensation.

Thanks in advance. Just learning about camper vans now.

Pictures would really help...............

0FC5457A-59F0-424A-852F-CF62B01C1131.jpeg

Seems to just be a feeders window unit. I can buy a new small GE window unit for the same as a service call and refrigerant charge on this old one. Plugs into a socket in the adjacent cabinet

Seems to just be a feeders window unit. I can buy a new small GE window unit for the same as a service call and refrigerant charge on this old one. Plugs into a socket in the adjacent cabinet
I wouldn't spend a lot of extra money on this one unless you want to keep it all original. The bright side is it probably takes R-12 freon which works better than the new stuff.

Latest resources

Back