• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Can I tow it?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
This subject has been beat to death in the archives. BUT!!!
The bottom line is.
You need 10% minimum of trailer weight on the hitch (Not negotiable).

Equalizer hitch artificially moves weight over the front wheels (this is hard on the trailer frame), so keep that in mind when on rough surfaces.

I posted because it is OK to shift weight in the trailer as long as you keep in mind the 10% rule above.

One more point that should be made! 10% over weight is egnored. However more than that in case of an accident will likely place you as the responsible party, no matter what caused the accident.

Why is it that folks seem so darn emphatic about the trailer DRY WEIGHT? I know, they just want to convince themselves, incorrectly so, that the minimum tow vehicle can tow it.

Once batteries, hitch, water, food, clothes, and camping stuff are added to the trailer, one is NEVER at or near DRY WEIGHT.

If you don't believe what I say or write, load the trailer to go camping, load the tow vehicle to go camping, and then pull the rig to the nearest CAT scale. Have them weigh it. You'll like be very surprised at what you are dragging around. It is nowhere near DRY WEIGHT.

For safety reasons, those of you and your family, your tow vehicle, your trailer, and others, always use the Gross Weight of the trailer for calculations.

Bob

Some of these trailers have huge payload relative to their dry weight, a few I've looked at weighed under 4300lb dry and had a GVWR of 6500lb. This is why dry weight is important to me. I'm under no false impression that filling the kitchen with wares, the bath with soap & TP, the fridge with food & the cabinets with appliances, games and towels that it won't be at least another 500-600lb but that still puts it well below my 6100lb limit and moreso under the GVWR. To ignore the dry weight at < 2/3 the GVWR to me makes no sense.

Wife and I have a down payment on a 23 Mini Lite 2205s. Weight is 5200, payload 600.
We drive a 15 expedition that has capacity of 9200, but payload of only 1400. Weight of us, dogs, crates, tongue, batteries, and gas is just over 1600.
Dealer of course says we are good.
Spoke to 2 hitch companies: one says payload sticker 10-20% low and we are good. Other says talk to Ford (who referred us to them).
Spoke to hitch manufacturer (Blue Ox) who stated that even with their best hitch it does not affect what your vehicle can CARRY but what it can TOW. This was my concern. The tv sales guy seems great, and I know they technically can’t sell an unsafe setup. But now what?
I had same question on my Ford Explorer, I called the Ford Dealer and they were very helpful, they even took time and called me back after they researched it, FYI all Ford dealers are not the same in customer service!

I had same question on my Ford Explorer, I called the Ford Dealer and they were very helpful, they even took time and called me back after they researched it, FYI all Ford dealers are not the same in customer service!
What did Ford say? The dealer I was at had no idea what payload is

I did likewise and stopped by my Chevrolet dealer. The Service Manager used the VIN number to look up the specifics of my truck. All the numbers are there. It is nice to have the "real numbers" and not what someone thinks or said.

Bob

USA manufacturers generally include a full tank of gas in the curb weight. This means it does not count against payload.

But, the weight of all passengers, dogs, gear, etc. does count, as does the tongue weight of the trailer.

I suspect payload in the Expedition will be your limiting factor, not the tow rating.

The specs (stickers on the door, owner's manual, etc.) tell you what is a safe setup. A salesman can tell you anything.

What did Ford say? The dealer I was at had no idea what payload is
Try this

It's my understanding the NHTSA mandates all vehicles sold to be used on public roads in the USA have to identify payload with a full tank of fuel and anything else the vehicle was ordered with, down to a cigarette cup for smokers, floor mats, even a tiny wiring harness to be able to hook up a brake controller. The vehicle is weighed before it exits the plant and a sticker is generated then stuck inside the driver's door jam. A specific vehicle will all have the same GVWR unless it happens to have a higher payload capacity as an option, so all those vehicles will have the GVWR minum the actual weight equalling the payload.

Some of these trailers have huge payload relative to their dry weight, a few I've looked at weighed under 4300lb dry and had a GVWR of 6500lb. This is why dry weight is important to me. I'm under no false impression that filling the kitchen with wares, the bath with soap & TP, the fridge with food & the cabinets with appliances, games and towels that it won't be at least another 500-600lb but that still puts it well below my 6100lb limit and moreso under the GVWR. To ignore the dry weight at < 2/3 the GVWR to me makes no sense.
Agreed, but add a couple of batteries (+150 lbs) add 2 propane tanks (+80 lbs) add 40 gal water (+300 lbs), and you'll be surprised how fast the numbers over DRY WEIGHT increase.

I know what the dry weight number is on our trailer. I know what the Gross weight is on our trailer. Plus I know what the cargo weight is on our trailer. And I put it on a CAT scale and was surprised at how close to Gross Weight we were loaded.

If one has ever loaded their RV to go camping but never put it on a CAT scale in that configuration, one is "simply throwing darts at numbers in the dark".

Bob

Latest resources

Back