• Commercial/Vendors welcome

city water connection fills FW tank

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Actually it is not 6 of one and half dozen of the other. I do this for a living and just this morning in a business meeting we decided to add a check valve to ALL new installs of pumps. This is because we have had 4 new pumps in a row leak at the pressure shut off on the front of the pump and we cannot control the water pressure from the varied campgrounds. One yesterday measured 80 psi and the pump is rated for 55. For us a callback is a huge loss.

Actually it is not 6 of one and half dozen of the other. I do this for a living and just this morning in a business meeting we decided to add a check valve to ALL new installs of pumps. This is because we have had 4 new pumps in a row leak at the pressure shut off on the front of the pump and we cannot control the water pressure from the varied campgrounds. One yesterday measured 80 psi and the pump is rated for 55. For us a callback is a huge loss.

Understand trying to solve the problem.
I guess my point is, a normal person that is up on doing what they are supposed to do would use a water pressure regulator to prevent that ridiculous pressure you said was causing this problem. I ran into a RV Park in NM last summer that the pressure sometime hits 100 psi. That was according to the front office when I asked about their pressure. I have always used a regulator.
Not sure what business you are in as you have not stated, only that you "do this for a living". I am not a repair person but not sure what a check valve in front of the pump solves unless you meant a regulator.
My understanding of a check valve is it prevents water from back flowing when it is not desired.
From what the repair folks showed me when my FW tank filled like mentioned, it was a valve inside the pump, which is easy to clean and/or replace. I chose to just replace the pump as it was old anyway. Problem solved.
The internal valve that allows the flow to go either from the pump or from city water side was thick with calcium deposits I assume from very hard water. I have double filters on my new 5er to help prevent that now.

Snarky, I like it. I am a certified, licensed, and insured RV tech. I do this every day. Seems you do not understand a couple of things. Many many people have no idea about water pressures, fittings, or even that they have a pump onboard. Only one of the 4 pumps leaked with high pressure present. But the check valves failed in all 4. The check valves prevent water from filling the tanks, but some systems have valves between the tank and the pump anyways so this is not always the case. Hot water heaters have check valves screwed into the fitting of the tank, in the output line itself, on both in and out, there are many ways it is done, none is wrong. I suggested putting a check valve, a valve that only allows water to flow one way, on the output side of the pump as the one in the pump seems to fail more often. It is cheaper then a new pump. The pump is fine and does not need to be replaced. And filters will not prevent calcium buildup as it is dissolved in the water. Unless you have reverse osmosis or special filters.

I'm not certified in anything but common sense! OK already, yes I read to the end of the thread before making any comments.

Anyhow I am glad your looking outside the box, I think as though there wasn't a box at all.

It isn't always possible to explain your rationale, but let me try anyway!!!

the pumps are designed for much lower pressures, therefore, to protect the pump from debilitating pressure, the best way is a flow preventer before the pump. You keep up the good work, and you won't have time to spend here!!!

Latest resources

Back