Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

PAC

RVF Newbee
We are looking at becoming full timers in the next year and I realize this is a post that can have a lot of responses. Looking for opinions on Class A vs 5th Wheelers. Length 34-40+ feet. What size truck recommended to haul 5th wheeler? Brands/models best? We expect to be working full time. Just the 2 of us. 60+ years old. Some work online. Probably staying in a location about a year before moving on, work for a multi-state employer, currently the have North Carolina, Florida, Texas, Arizona and California. New to RV’s. Competent and self sufficient.

For two you don’t need the 5th wheel for room. Although, it would be large enough to provide separate work spaces, if needed.

Class A offers the convenience of being able to do everything without going outside (I.e., potty, eat, sleep), while moving (for non-driver) or at a rest stop.

Either way, you will likely have a second vehicle (towing 5th wheel or towed by MH).

And of course, there is the matter of which fits your visual preference.

We’ve had both and prefer towing a small thing (car) with a big thing (Class A) rather than having a relatively small thing (pickup truck) towing a much bigger thing (5th wheel). YMMV.

TJ

Don't discount a 5th wheel and diesel truck. If you do start checking fiver floorplans be sure to look at any and all toy hauler floorplans available within your budget target.

There are a lot of folks that purchase toy haulers that do not haul "toys" in the garage. Most toy haulers have a garage area that converts to bunks, bench seating with a table down the middle (perfect for a large work station), or simply a large 8'x12' or larger open space.

Our toy hauler garage is used to haul a large Harley motorcycle when on the road. We also have a stacked washer and dryer and half bath back there. When camped and set up (motorcycle removed) we convert to leather benches down the side (all electric) and long middle table. We can have two other couples over to eat or play cards in that space. If we are having family overnight we simply push a couple buttons and it converts to either a single queen bed or queen bunk beds.

There are many 38' to 40' toy hauler floorplans that work great for two full time working couples.

Have little experience. Grew up on a farm, and learned that I would rather be a little over powered, than under. We bought a 3712 Alpine kb around 42 foot ( non toy hauler). For the truck we went with a ram 3500 Laramie dually, high output, Aisin transmission with 3.73, hooked together with a 25000 fifth wheel hitch. wanted 4:10 but couldn't find one. For our use the 3.73 was fine, maybe even beneficial for use of the vehicle when un hooked.Never owned a ram before, been a ford man until recently. Took it out on maiden voyage at night, hills included, rained hard( not recommend) and felt like I was truck in control. Jake brake was really nice, coupled with tow mode and gain control. So glad we got the 50 gallon tank. Plus I got in on a slight sale. Had a little chugging on rougher roads but not bad, good roads it pulled really good. A lot of it depends what are you going to put in the toy hauler part. Not a professional, due your research and be safe.

A lot is personal preference. Class A drive different as your sitting in front or over the steer tires. Truck and 5th is more natural once you are used to the swing of the trailer. A1 ton truck, any of the big three will do. Gas, diesel, over about 10k lb, I would do diesel.
I like my 37 foot, 5th. Room to move and relax, good kitchen and storage. At these longer lengths, route planning and campsites need to be checked for fit.

We had a number of 5vers prior to our current VTDP. Personally, if I was planning to stay in one place for a year at a time, I would go with a 5ver as I would be uncomfortable with leaving a coach parked that long. Dodge Ram 3500 dually.

Safe travels.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back