Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Collision Mitigation Systems in a Motorhome?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Newmar offers the OnGuard Collision Mitigation system which may not even be an option now in some highline coaches, it also can be a rather expensive option. I haven't read up on all of the features but I'm curious of those that have used it what is your impression?

What got my interest is I'm in a rental car on a short trip back home from the coach and the Subaru I'm in has all this fancy stuff. Lane departure warnings, warning lights on mirrors when someone is in the blindspot, if on cruise control it will slow you down to keep distance from the vehicle in front as you approach it, etc. I'm on the fence between annoyance and safety.

What are your opinions on vehicles with these safeguards?

We have the WABCO OnGuard Collision Mitigation System in our 2018 Mountain Aire, @Neal, and wish we had not spent the money on it. In fact, we have considered having it removed, but that is apparently hard to do.

It works fine about 95% of the time; the remaining 5% is what keeps us in terror. We have had several false triggers at highway speed where hard braking was experienced with no other vehicles in close proximity. It is scary when that happens! On a wet or icy roadway, it could be disastrous!

One case occurred when we crossed under an overpass and there was a significant long dip in the road surface. I think the sensor may have seen the pavement rise at the end of the dip and triggered. In another case, I think a temporary roadside sign may have been the culprit. In the 2-3 other situations, I couldn't identify a potential cause.

LadyDi has a similar system in her Lincoln and loves it. It has never false-triggered and does provide additional driving safety, so we know these systems can work. IMHO, the OnGuard system does not.

TJ

In this rental car stepping on the gas stops the collision system deceleration.

Same with the OnGuard system, @Neal, but that's only after you've experienced the false trigger and recovered from the surprise factor. There is also a brief delay in disengagement after you step on the throttle.

TJ

The system used in GM vehicles has been quite impressive to me, & so far has had no "false" trigger or otherwise.
Coming South to I-495, did the western route to the I-95 "mixing bowl", and never had to disengage it. Although, I never had to stop either, which is highly unusual on that stretch of roadway!
Not too sure how I would feel bout having it in an "RV"! Cautious, at best, especially after TJ's post!

We got it on the new 2020 DS but have only driven about 150 so far, jury still out. Disappointed in @TJ&LadyDi review. Rented a Lincoln MKX in September which was my first experience and liked it once I got it figured out.

Newmar offers the OnGuard Collision Mitigation system which may not even be an option now in some highline coaches, it also can be a rather expensive option. I haven't read up on all of the features but I'm curious of those that have used it what is your impression?

What got my interest is I'm in a rental car on a short trip back home from the coach and the Subaru I'm in has all this fancy stuff. Lane departure warnings, warning lights on mirrors when someone is in the blindspot, if on cruise control it will slow you down to keep distance from the vehicle in front as you approach it, etc. I'm on the fence between annoyance and safety.

What are your opinions on vehicles with these safeguards?

Neil, the problem with asking this question about OnGuard is that I am unaware (based on watching the forums) that OnGuard has ever been used for "collision mitigation" in a motorhome. I certainly have never used that feature on my New Aire with OnGuard. The purpose of this system is to help the driver lessen the kinetic energy before an impending impact by reacting to such a collision far faster than a human can react. The system has some issues while waiting to be used for it's primary purpose. In my opinion the problems will seem trivial the first time this system deploys to save my butt. In many ways OnGuard is analogous to seat belts systems. Seat belts are a real hassle because you never really use them for their intended purpose, until you do.

Last edited:
We got it on the new 2020 DS but have only driven about 150 so far, jury still out. Disappointed in @TJ&LadyDi review. Rented a Lincoln MKX in September which was my first experience and liked it once I got it figured out.
Bill:

I'm pretty sure WABCO is aware of the false triggering with its OnGuard system as others have reported it over on that other forum. They may even have a software fix by now; I need to check with them.

TJ

Bill:

I'm pretty sure WABCO is aware of the false triggering with its OnGuard system as others have reported it over on that other forum. They may even have a software fix by now; I need to check with them.

TJ

Not sure what you mean by false triggering. I got one of the very first OnGuard systems delivered on a Newmar in the Fall of 2018. 15,000 miles of experience so far. The system has never falsely triggered the maximum application of defueling the engine and applying 50% brakes. On a few occasions it has temporarily reduced power and started brake application when a threat was sensed. In those instances it happened very quickly, then returned to normal.

If you are referring to the audible alerts as "false triggering", in my coach it has never "falsely alerted" with an audible warning. The system has a set of criteria to issue an alert that appears to be an algorithm looking at rate of closure and distance to target to issue an audible alert. I have never had audible warning without a threat in front of me. Typically depending on rate of closure the alert will sound around less than 200' behind a frontal target. It continues to monitor those parameters until a criteria is reached to reduce power and start braking. If the rate of closure is very fast the audible warning will be very close to the application of brakes.

No, I'm talking about "pry yourself off the steering wheel" braking with no warning! We mentioned it while we were at Newmar and they said they couldn't identify the issue.

Our unit is older than yours; coach delivered in late June 2018.

TJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back