Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Collision Mitigation Systems in a Motorhome?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm talking about "pry yourself off the steering wheel" braking with no warning! We mentioned it while we were at Newmar and they said they couldn't identify the issue.

TJ

Never happened in 15,000 miles. Given the nature of the automation it is easy to guess it may happen some time. The big complaints I have seen on the forums are the "nusiance" audible alerts. I have learned to drive the coach the way it is designed to be driven. After the learning period, I am convinced the system knows better than I how close to follow behind traffic. The damn audible warnings are a great training device. I drive in such a way not to get an alert. My dog hates the alerts as well. The only alerts I get now that are unavoidable is an aggressive driver jumping into the "safe space" in front of me then putting on the brakes.

Good thread on the subject going on the iRV2 Entegra forum. Many of the problems involve poorly aligned antennas. Spartan installations seem to be more problematic.

Last edited:
We test drove a Tesla with the adaptive Cruise Control and AutoPilot on and off. Truly remarkable when it works correctly. However, It is very disconcerting. For those of us that are accustomed to a mechanical connection to every control in a vehicle it will take training to operate these systems correctly in my opinion. Anything more than an oral warning with these systems will need to be trained.

The Tesla would abruptly slow and even steer around perceived obstacles. Great when it works but down right scary when there is a false positive. Having a vehicle that starts to make decisions will take a lot of trust and training.

Having been a professional pilot for some 35+ years, advancing technology has been a way of life during my career. Level of automation used in aircraft has been debated for years but bottom line is if it’s not doing what you want, disable and figure why later.

New to this system in 2020 DS and learning how to disable is foremost in the equation prior to using.

Well put Bill, speaking about automation and its issues. For instance a pilot of a Boeing 737 MAX 8 pilot needs training on a speedy way to defeat the MCAS system before it drives you into a stall or the ground. If you don't understand the system it can annoy you or kill you.

Therein lies the major issue with the WABCO OnGuard Collision Mitigation System in our 2018 MADP; it cannot be disabled or "defeated" by the "pilot." When it works (>95% of the time), it works well. When it doesn't (<5% of the time), it is a safety issue that is beyond the control of the operator. Bad design, in my view.

TJ

I have false activations on my NADP. It’s terrifying and stuff goes flying. I lay rubber on the ground. There was nothing in front of me. No bridges no leaves no birds no cars. Straight highway. Completely bogus.

Freight liner told me there’s a recall on mine to fix this issue.

I find it useless and I find the adaptive cruise useless (I always shut it off). I would never pay for it again.

Not to say other brands are bad - in fact my Tesla was absolutely amazing in this area. I’ll pay for THAT every time. But not onguard.

I have false activations on my NADP. It’s terrifying and stuff goes flying. I lay rubber on the ground. There was nothing in front of me. No bridges no leaves no birds no cars. Straight highway. Completely bogus.

Freight liner told me there’s a recall on mine to fix this issue.

I find it useless and I find the adaptive cruise useless (I always shut it off). I would never pay for it again.

Not to say other brands are bad - in fact my Tesla was absolutely amazing in this area. I’ll pay for THAT every time. But not onguard.

There must be some common denominator in these false activations. Everyone needs to get along with these systems. They will be standard equipment on all automobiles in the US by 2022. There is a strong push to require the technology on all trucks, though there is no date right now. The technology works so well (in most applications) my guess is that insurance companies will require the technology in the near future to economically secure affordable insurance.

Collision avoidance system radars operate at very high frequencies (76 to 80 GHz). I wonder if some of these false activations result from interference from other radar sources?

I have been driving vehicles with collision avoidance system radar since 2015. I have never experienced a false activation leading to "rubber on the road". In 14,000 miles in the NA with OnGuard I have experienced the "haptic" brake pedal "pre-warn" on a couple of occasions, but never without some activity in the radar zone in front of the coach. Driving my BMW I experienced one event of light braking when the system sensed a bike rider moving along the right should of the highway. All in all I would guess I have well over 100,000 miles driving behind radar based collision avoidance systems since 2015.

Last edited:
If it operated as well as Tesla's, I'd be all for it. I can only pray OnGuard gets better or they switch vendors. FWIW I have almost 17k on my NADP odometer now.
I drove the Tesla for 3 years with it and it was nearly perfect (and the burps were very minor).

So, when is Tesla going into the motorhome business?

TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back