Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Considering a Class C. What alternatives are there to getting a toad?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I am considering a Class B or C RV, but the whole toad thing stops me. I don't like the the idea of dragging a vehicle around behind me. I understand I will likely need a mode of transportation once I get to my destination. What alternatives have people used for this?
It's not as bad as you might believe. Jeeps are very easy to tow - simply hook it up and put the transfer case in neutral. I hardly know it's back there and I've been doing it long enough that I've gotten use to it. The penalty is a drop in overall gas mileage. Towing my 4500 pound Jeep Wrangler costs me between 2 and 3 MPG. Your mileage might vary. The lighter the vehicle, the less drop in MPG.

There are additional expenses to consider. You need a good braking system for the toad. Depending on how much RVing you plan on doing, you can compare those numbers with just renting a car at your destination.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BACKUP WITH YOUR TOAD ATTACHED. Things will break and it's the usual expensive things.

SO drive another vehicle - :ROFLMAO: Never happen

Motorbike was something I was considering. Could a Class C bumper handle a couple scooters? Rent a car at destination location? Some other idea?
Sorry to hear that. I use a bicycle. It severely limits where I camp, as I do long stays, and need to get to a grocery store, hardware store and pharmacy. I have been doing it this way for 7 years. Sometimes I rent a car to see attractions.

Have your SO drive another vehicle to your destination?

Toy hauler motorhome (if such a thing exists) with a motorbike or two in it?
They exist

Sorry to hear that. I use a bicycle. It severely limits where I camp, as I do long stays, and need to get to a grocery store, hardware store and pharmacy. I have been doing it this way for 7 years. Sometimes I rent a car to see attractions.
Think e-bike

Think e-bike
Not ready to spend the money, and I need the forced exercise. For thousands of years man had to work to procure food. Now we are dying of all kind of diseases, largely brought on by laziness and gluttony.

Good idea though. The challenge is that a lot of places have roads that are too dangerous for any kind of bike - no shoulder and too much traffic.

They make electric that requires pedaling

Not ready to spend the money, and I need the forced exercise. For thousands of years man had to work to procure food. Now we are dying of all kind of diseases, largely brought on by laziness and gluttony.

Good idea though. The challenge is that a lot of places have roads that are too dangerous for any kind of bike - no shoulder and too much traffic.
That's quite OK! I just picked up a bike to trek to town! The exercise was the reason as well. Besides, you know I wouldn't push something as bad for the earth as electric (lithium batteries),right???

Latest resources

Back