Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Considering a Class C. What alternatives are there to getting a toad?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

SJMaye

RVF Regular
I am considering a Class B or C RV, but the whole toad thing stops me. I don't like the the idea of dragging a vehicle around behind me. I understand I will likely need a mode of transportation once I get to my destination. What alternatives have people used for this?

Have your SO drive another vehicle to your destination?

Toy hauler motorhome (if such a thing exists) with a motorbike or two in it?

Have your SO drive another vehicle to your destination?

Toy hauler motorhome (if such a thing exists) with a motorbike or two in it?
SO drive another vehicle - :ROFLMAO: Never happen

Motorbike was something I was considering. Could a Class C bumper handle a couple scooters? Rent a car at destination location? Some other idea?

Class B and C motorhomes are small enough that a toad is not absolutely necessary.

We did the rental option when we first got our old class c. Used Enterprise and they “picked us up” at the campground.

The hassle was we lost a bunch of time on the trip. Riding to the rental office then driving back. When we turned it in we drove there and they drove us back.

It didn’t take long before we wanted our own vehicle.

Class B I have seen without additional vehicles. They just unhook and drive that around when needed. Wouldn’t want to do that in a larger class c.

We have a 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport standard transmission we pull four down. Didn’t even know it was behind us with the class c.

If it is a class c it “probably” will have a 5,000 pound towing capacity. That would be 500 pound tongue weight so anything suspended would have to be lighter. Scooters may be doable but, on a longer trip, would you want to take a scooter grocery shopping?

Bunch to think about depending on how you will be using the RV etc.

A towed vehicle behind is nothing like towing a TT or 5th wheel. Our C has a tow capacity of 7500 lbs and we pull a 2019 Ford Ranger, just under 4500. I do use the truck for some items but well under the 7500. It tows good so far no issues.
My thought of you is decided on a MH then the vehicle you will tow. I see all types on the road, Jeep is the tow choice for many. You need to make sure the car you choose can be flat towed. Match up your decision based on the weight the MH can tow. There are publications to help with that. Best of luck, welcome to the group.

I am considering a Class B or C RV, but the whole toad thing stops me. I don't like the the idea of dragging a vehicle around behind me. I understand I will likely need a mode of transportation once I get to my destination. What alternatives have people used for this?
I have a friend that went the rental option. That wore thin very quickly. There were times that a rental type they wanted was not available or no rentals at all during peak season and it became very expensive. They finally picked up a Wrangler to tow. They are light, easy to hook up and tow plus you have the option of using it for sightseeing where you would not want to use your MH.

Darrell

Thank you for all the suggestions. It makes sense that the rental option could get tedious. We are going to rent a B or C in a few months just to see how we like it. No toad, no rental. A lot to consider.

Latest resources

Back