Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Considering a Class C. What alternatives are there to getting a toad?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Some just assist others you don't need to pedal, but pedals are what make them bikes! No pedals! That is an electric cycle.
You can get them in 3 wheels if you like!

Major downfall is traveling distance, like all electrical vehicles, for boondockers, you still have to figure in charging!

My prediction is when people wake up to the truth, electric vehicles will fade as they did in the 1900's. Further when the truth overcomes the hype lithium will do the same!!!

Guys, I am a cave man. Can someone describe how an e-bike works? I know it has a battery. Is it just a motorized bicycle? Do I need to peddle? What about hilly areas?
It can be a motorized bicycle. There are a lot of things to learn and the prices go from almost affordable to "are you kidding me?" You can get e trikes that allow one to haul a pretty good load. Extended frames for larger carriers on the two wheel models. A number of different power supply options. Foldable, fat tire, mountain bike style etc. We have a "middle of the road" cost and quality wises. I have a fat tire model my wife does not. We have the motor as part of the rear wheel as opposed to sprocket drive. We have 6 levels of power assist and 7 speed rear hub. The range is 50 to 70 miles depending on how hard you abuse the power assist. Many models (inc ours originally) require you to pedal to get the power assist, Climbing most hills is pretty effortless. We tested ours first before buying. There are quite a few that did not perform as stated by the manufacturer. Ours have been modified so we have an accelerator and do not require the pedal assist. We had this option installed as my wife has a knee issue and I didn't want her to have to strain anything. EBIKES | MJM EBikes

Darrell

Got one but it is still severely limited to what one can carry with it. The wine store comes to mind! :)

Darrell
Man you buy too much wine.😄I carried five bottles back to the campground in my saddlebags. I could feel the weight difference pedaling back.😎

Man you buy too much wine.😄I carried five bottles back to the campground in my saddlebags. I could feel the weight difference pedaling back.😎
Hey C'mon! I only buy as much as my wife and I can drink!! :) And it just so happens to be cheaper by the case (when you take into consideration wear and tear on vehicle, fuel, etc (at least that's what my wife tells me!) :)

Darrell

Hey C'mon! I only buy as much as my wife and I can drink!! :) And it just so happens to be cheaper by the case (when you take into consideration wear and tear on vehicle, fuel, etc (at least that's what my wife tells me!) :)

Darrell
How many speeds are on that bike? Looks like your getting a bunch of practice shifting...

How many speeds are on that bike? Looks like your getting a bunch of practice shifting...
We have seven gears on the rear wheel. Only a single gear on the sprocket. There are six power levels. Like a normal mountain or road bike, one shifts gears for a mechanical advantage. Large sprocket to a small gear allows for Less pedal turns per rotation of the wheel. I know. You got that!

The six power levels are not gears. Depending on how it is set up, power level one decreases your pedal effort by 20%. So, a small assist and you are doing MOST of the work. Level two may increase to power assist by 35% and so on until you hit 6 and then it might be a 95% assist which means there is hardly any effort by the rider to make the bike go. These power levels work the same in all gears. We can change the programming on our bikes to suit our needs. Right now, we do most of the work until a steep hill comes along. When you are going as fast as possible (large sprocket and small gear at wheel) and set at level six, the rider is likely on level ground but still going through power like crazy. Ain't no way that they will get 50 to 70 miles out of that charge. Maybe 10 if they are lucky. So no more gear changing than a normal bike in reality. You still want to be in a low gear climbing a steep hill just like if there were no power assist available. But it sure helps old geezers like me go for a decent pedal and not have to get off and push like I used to.

I'll let you go for a ride if I see you this winter.

Darrell

I think 18. Been a long time since I have been on It. It has been on the back of the MH all summer. Heading to campground in a few weeks. Riding and walking begin again. Busy summer.

Mine has 21, but only the lower 14 have seen any exercise. Honestly, my flab won't likely see any races!

Latest resources

Back