• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Coronavirus outbreak declared global emergency

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Glad your wife is ok Sheridan. I'm very happy I'm retired now and not forced to travel like I used to be - I was always going to some foreign country.

Big picture, based on Chinese experience, this virus will likely not kill you unless you have a preexisting significant medical condition or you are over 60. For folks under 60 and otherwise well, you may get sick, even very sick, but you are likely to have a full recovery with the best medical care.
Yeah...but a fair number of RVers are over 60! We'd like a shot at surviving too!

TJ

Yeah...but a fair number of RVers are over 60! We'd like a shot at surviving too!

TJ
lol, I was going to mention that as well. :) Guess I'll go out, dig a hole and get my pine box ready.

Now now folks. It’s not all doom and gloom. Think of it this way. What better time to own an RV? Would you rather drive your RV to a planned destination or get on a mass transportation mode with sick people. I know my answer. Just keep your distance at the park and don’t shake hands and wash your hands frequently.

I think I hear TJ packing for Polson...

I think I hear TJ packing for Polson...
We will be heading for Polson in late April, but not because of the coronavirus. Western Montana is a special place for us and we enjoy it. We'll make a quick trip down to Oregon (Guaranty RV) for a couple of recalls to be done before heading to Polson.

TJ

I guess I look at this new threat a little different than some. I keep comparing it to the regular seasonal flu. Most of the time after all of us get our new flu shots they report that they didn't have the formula "just right" and the shot really didn't help make you immune anyway. We know that the flu will kill off 6,000 or more of us about every year and we don't freak out.

I think just a little common sense is in order here, but not panic mode. So don't sneeze on folks in public or lick the shopping cart handles at Walmart. But if everyone stops flying for a year, never goes to a movie, and only takes deliveries to their homes because they are afraid to step outside then we will tank our economy. People will be laid off, get kicked out of their homes, be starving on the streets, and worse.

This is now getting a bit too close! The four new COVID-19 deaths reported in Washington state occurred about 80 miles south of us. Still, we are not in panic mode. We just keep doing the smart things (washing hands, avoiding crowds and large social events, etc.) and put our faith in a higher power.

TJ

I suspect things will get worse before it gets better in the coming months. Many are not taking things serious when it comes to simple common sense safety measures IMHO.

Twenty or thirty choir members from a Florida college were performing in Italy last week. Because of the virus spreading so much there they cut their visit short and flew home yesterday. The college insisted they "self quarantine" for 10 days before returning to campus. While they are staying in their homes or dorm rooms, if they actually do, how about the people they live with? I'm sure those family members and friends are going about their daily activities. With Florida still packed with out-of-state visitors it just seemed kind of risky.

This is now getting a bit too close! The four new COVID-19 deaths reported in Washington state occurred about 80 miles south of us. Still, we are not in panic mode. We just keep doing the smart things (washing hands, avoiding crowds and large social events, etc.) and put our faith in a higher power.

TJ

Jim, it seems like the State of Washington has more than their share of cases. How did that come about? The news probably reported why but I must have missed that.

I don't think anyone really knows yet exactly how this has come about in Washington.

The first case identified out here was a man who had just returned from a visit to Wuhan, China. From all I can understand, he was pretty quickly isolated and may not be the source of further infections.

Unfortunately, nearly all of the remaining cases identified thus far have some connection to a health care facility for the elderly in Kirkland, Washington. I don't think it is yet known whether a staff member brought the virus in or if it came in from someone visiting a resident in the facility. Sadly, the infection broke out in a place housing the most susceptible elderly people with underlying health issues and that's where the majority of the deaths have occurred.

Seattle is an air traffic hub for people traveling to the US from Asia and It would appear that the coronavirus has been circulating within the area for some time. The difficult part is that the virus frequently results in a low-level illness that doesn't require medical treatment (except in the elderly and health-compromised) but is still contagious from those people. Thus it only gets noticed when it is transmitted to someone that comes down with a severe.

I'm no medical expert, but the above is what I have gleaned from local news coverage.

TJ

Latest resources

Back