• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Coronavirus outbreak declared global emergency

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I see this virus, and the way it is spreading across the earth, as a giant wake-up call. Properly handled, this is an opportunity to prepare ourselves and to create proper procedures for the next time, when the death rate could be 80% instead of 2%. I just hope the message is received and acted upon.
Sadly, @Jim, if past experience is any indicator, governments around the world will do just enough to get past the immediate crisis and then fall back into a stupor until the next one arises.

TJ

Let me give you a little story from today that was a true shock to us.

My DW has not been feeling well all week after attending a work related conference last week and was getting worse with a cough and cold like symptoms. We went to urgent care first today figuring it was just a bad cold and hopefully nothing worse. Based on the finding (low oxygen flow) there they said go to the emergency room. We went into triage immediately upon arrival and they started testing etc.

When the doctor came in, my DW mentioned she had been at a conference in Los Angeles with attendees from 52 countries. We were moved immediately to a negative pressure isolation room that was alarmed and only one door into a staging room. When the nursing staff came back in, they were fully smocked, gloved with double masks and face shields. She did not have a fever but they were not taking any chances. I could not even leave the room with zero symptoms.

Minutes turned into hours of waiting for swab tests to come back as there is no real test for coronavirus. CDC is issuing alerts and protocols almost hourly every day. All tests came back negative and because she has no fever was discharged home. They had said, earlier, after being moved, to start compiling a list of anyone we had been in contact with during the past week. I am not going to lie, this was about as stressful event anyone could ever encounter, as we could have been quarantined right there for weeks.

One of the nurses told us that there was another patient at the facility on another floor in quarantine with two US Marshals with AR 15's standing guard outside the door. Not a definite case they said, but again, no one is taking chances. This is the real deal. We are staying home for the next couple of days just to be safe. Hope to never repeat this again.

A souvenir picture of our visit.

Attachments

• 71CCEE7B-EF62-48E9-BFFA-A3DBC70A83E4.jpeg
    71CCEE7B-EF62-48E9-BFFA-A3DBC70A83E4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
One of the nurses told us that there was another patient at the facility on another floor in quarantine with two US Marshals with AR 15's standing guard outside the door. Not a definite case they said, but again, no one is taking chances. This is the real deal.
That must have been quite frightening, especially for your wife. Glad things ended well.

I believe 6,000 to 7,000 folks die from regular flu every year in the U.S. From everything I have read our country has ramped up to keep that from happening with this virus. Sheridany's above true life experience just shows how serious it is being taken here. It will certainly have a negative effect on our economy. One of my neighbors in our RV park yesterday said he is down over $130,000 so far with his stocks.

A souvenir picture of our visit.

It is time for everyone to withdraw from meeting in large crowds. This includes travel by public conveyance: airplane, boats, bus and rail. Also includes large indoor restaurants, theaters ect. Meeting with a small group with people you know to be well but no person contact of any kind is ok. Some risk but much lower than large crowds.

If the weather was better just retreating to some BLM land for a few months makes sense if you are over 60. The coronavirus family of viruses typically reduces infectivity moving into the Spring and Summer. Got to buy some time.

I agree with @turbopilot. I am avoiding any places of mass gatherings, I am not taking BART into SF under any circumstances and I’ll just pay the ripoff parking cost to drive in. My concern is the workplace office and who isn’t being careful. My company already has said we may close locations and have people work from home. I am only going in when a meeting requires in person attendance.

A separate interesting angle is my DW is supposed to present at a conference in Vietnam in April and United will not refund the ticket unless the country is on the restricted travel list. She is pushing them hard to reconsider a refund including asking Amex travel services to advocate for her. So far the answer is no.

Scary scenario, Sheridan. I'm glad your wife is OK.

One comment you made about there being no specific test for COVID-19 is the scariest part for me. Our government has disbanded much of the infrastructure that was set up to deal with stuff like this and we are now way behind in developing reliable testing procedures. It always seems to be the case with emergency management that funds get cut back and programs get dropped when things are going well.

As a ham radio operator, I have been involved in a lot of emergency situations over the years, providing communication capability to many agencies that simply didn't prepare well. They always seem to have other uses for funds that aren't currently being used, but may be critically needed in an emergency.

TJ

Important to place the concerns in the right place. Big picture, based on Chinese experience, this virus will likely not kill you unless you have a preexisting significant medical condition or you are over 60. For folks under 60 and otherwise well, you may get sick, even very sick, but you are likely to have a full recovery with the best medical care. That last point is the big twist. If this thing hits full strength (hitting 30% to 60% of the population in the first year), the medical system will be so overwhelmed that the best medical care will not be possible.

Latest resources

Back