Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

prgirl1982

RVF Newbee
My husband and I purchased a brand new Heartland Prowler travel trailer from a dealership about 3 weeks ago. They said they needed to check everything out to make sure it's good to go and we made plans to take delivery and do the walkthrough the following Saturday. In the middle of the next week they called to tell us that they discovered quite a few issues with the trailer that they are having to order parts for and that they couldn't give me a time frame of when we could come get it.

Meanwhile, the first payment is due soon and my husband is rapidly losing patience with them. Is it common for a new trailer to require this much work up front? We are talking a broken door, one of the ACs having to be replaced, etc. We are starting to worry we have purchased a piece of junk. How long is it generally before you take possession of a trailer?

This is our first time purchasing one new and I'm just trying to get a handle on whether this is common or if we are getting the runaround. TIA!

My husband and I purchased a brand new Heartland Prowler travel trailer from a dealership about 3 weeks ago. They said they needed to check everything out to make sure it's good to go and we made plans to take delivery and do the walkthrough the following Saturday. In the middle of the next week they called to tell us that they discovered quite a few issues with the trailer that they are having to order parts for and that they couldn't give me a time frame of when we could come get it.

Meanwhile, the first payment is due soon and my husband is rapidly losing patience with them. Is it common for a new trailer to require this much work up front? We are talking a broken door, one of the ACs having to be replaced, etc. We are starting to worry we have purchased a piece of junk. How long is it generally before you take possession of a trailer?

This is our first time purchasing one new and I'm just trying to get a handle on whether this is common or if we are getting the runaround. TIA!
There are a couple things that pop into my head? Did you finance through the dealership? One of the papers you would sign in the contract package is a delivery form. It says basically you have taken delivery. It is more common to sign papers the same day you pick up the unit. That is when down payments would be made and the walkthrough completed. Since you have a payment coming due, that would mean the contract was cashed. Is it titled and registered to you as well? That would also mean the lien is placed. Doing these things before you take possession is not unheard of but is less common. It is also much more risky for you and the dealer. Since the dealership has the contract money, you have lost a bit of leverage. Now that there is a loan on your bureau, you own it in the eyes of the bank.
As for finding problems on the prep, that is not uncommon. That is why paperwork generally is done when picking up. That would give the dealership and more importantly the buyer (you) options to resolve the problems.
Let me know if we can help.
Ken

Thank you! This is very helpful. I am pretty sure we have not signed the delivery papers. However, they didn't give us copies of the paperwork and I'm feeling like an idiot for not insisting. The loan is through a separate bank and we have received the payment book in the mail, so I am assuming that means the transaction is complete and it's officially ours. I started the insurance policy as of the date we were originally supposed to take delivery.

That is good to know that it's not uncommon for them to have a lot of prep work. I am of the opinion we should refrain from pissing them off to the point where they just send us on our way with a trailer that has multiple problems. If the sales staff had just told us that it may take longer it would have managed our expectations. As new buyers, we had no idea what is standard procedure.

Hopefully we are able to get it soon and start enjoying! Thanks again for your helpful response.

I do agree that you want the dealer as an alley. If you got your own financing, you still would have that as one of the forms. The dealership will also have a "delivery form". The one I am talking about is a standard form in a loan package from any lender. Technically it tells them you have the thing they are paying for.
Hope things work out soon for you. The memory of the bumps should all go away when you pull into the first campsite.
Ken

For the past year EVERYTHING is taking twice as long to ship and twice as long to build, etc. The parts you need are probably on back order. The COVID-19 mess has screwed up our entire Nation when it comes to parts availability and the ability to get anything in a timely manner. Look around. I know car dealerships that only have 6 cars on their lots. Want a hot tub? There's a 16 week lead time and hardly anyone has them in stock. Same with RV dealerships. Very few in stock compared to a normal year. You may as well be patient. Yelling at the dealer isn't going to help. He has no control of the situation. Sorry you're having issues right off the bat. But look at it this way........at least they didn't just deliver it to you anyway and make you bring it back for the repairs and adjustments! Must be a good dealer.

But look at it this way........at least they didn't just deliver it to you anyway and make you bring it back for the repairs and adjustments! Must be a good dealer.
This is the first thing I thought of as well. Too many stories out there about dealers that shove the unit out the door and then you have to fight like crazy to get it fixed. Seems to me that this dealer is trying to make it all right before he sends you down the road.

I have a Toyota vehicle in a body shop for a small repair. Been waiting three months for OEM Toyota parts. Something I learned years ago anytime i have vehicle service performed i always leave a twenty and let a couple people know so it doesnt go in one guys pocket to buy next day break time donuts for the service dept. I always seem to go to the front of the line and the techs want to work on my stuff.

Same thing with our coach. A whole slew of things. 13 different items. Kicker is you wont discover many of them until you have been out on several different trips. When you buy from dealer manufacture has to agree on a price to fix. This can take some time. Manufacture warranty is period of one year from time delivered to original owner (Dealer-retailer). Surprise you are the second owner. Warranty after manufacture warranty has expired is sold thu dealer. They are 3rd party coverage. Many different options depending on how much they cost. Best of luck.

Be thankful they did a good inspection and identified (and communicated with you) the defects. Work with them to achieve a satisfactory solution. Supply chains are a mess. they are cleaning up a mess they didn't cause.

When it comes to warranty or pre-delivery repairs, dealers are generally paid the posted retail rate by the manufacturer. They have no reason to deliberately drag their feet.
Ken

Latest resources

Back