Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wr Sahara
Fulltimer
No
And addressing some DEF sensor issues, Cummings found a cracked metal flange that hooks exhaust hose to the DEF system. Unfortunately to the left is coming to the right is Newmar. Having trouble getting the part from Newmar. We also needed a new Nox incoming sensor. We had it replaced a year and two months ago, so no warranty. He said that he is seeing a lot of the sensors going out. I. Could be worse I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_5233.jpeg
    IMG_5233.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 22
Have you tried Spartan?

Have you tried Spartan?
I was told it was only “available “ through Newmar but it really isn’t. I don’t know if they checked with Spartan but they did say it was a newmar part.

Boy, this is ironic! I've been dealing with a small bit of DEF coming out of a joint between the crosspipe, and the SCR. Though it's on our Newell, the situation is very similar because...as I posted a photo of this problem, others with a keen & critical eye pointed out that I may have a small hairline crack around the flange; not quite as bad as yours.

I've got a 2-fold battle going, though: one, is that the "techs" all feel there shouldn't be enough DEF pooling through that joint in the first place. Second, is HOW TO FIX that crack...if there is one!

Like you have found (which drove me crazy with our Newmar!!) is the lack of continuity and responsibilty of the OEM. This always happens once you get to the powertrain; no matter who it is...ugh.

So, all this is to say, "hang in there" and keep in mind...it's an EXHAUST piece...and there are plenty of good welders who can either repair the existing tube. That's MY backup plan if CUMMINS gives me the same "shoulder shrug" you got.

This is our issue:

1684336492321.png

So DEF is an EPA issue, right? So aren't they required to fix it for 5 years???(pollution control devices). I have been wrong many times, but doesn't the EPA want to know how manufacturers handle this issue???

Yes all emissions stuff has a five year warranty but for both of these rigs (and mine) the warranty period is over.

Boy, this is ironic! I've been dealing with a small bit of DEF coming out of a joint between the crosspipe, and the SCR. Though it's on our Newell, the situation is very similar because...as I posted a photo of this problem, others with a keen & critical eye pointed out that I may have a small hairline crack around the flange; not quite as bad as yours.

I've got a 2-fold battle going, though: one, is that the "techs" all feel there shouldn't be enough DEF pooling through that joint in the first place. Second, is HOW TO FIX that crack...if there is one!

Like you have found (which drove me crazy with our Newmar!!) is the lack of continuity and responsibilty of the OEM. This always happens once you get to the powertrain; no matter who it is...ugh.

So, all this is to say, "hang in there" and keep in mind...it's an EXHAUST piece...and there are plenty of good welders who can either repair the existing tube. That's MY backup plan if CUMMINS gives me the same "shoulder shrug" you got.

This is our issue:

View attachment 18740
My guess is that your dosing unit is bad, injecting too much DEF, and you may not have a crack or other issue with the exhaust system, but rather the DEF is just following the path of least resistance when too much is injected. The DEF pump is fairly high pressure (90 to 130 psi or so) so if your doser is sticking or over-injecting it would flow a lot of DEF - far more than it can use.

My guess is that your dosing unit is bad, injecting too much DEF, and you may not have a crack or other issue with the exhaust system, but rather the DEF is just following the path of least resistance when too much is injected. The DEF pump is fairly high pressure (90 to 130 psi or so) so if your doser is sticking or over-injecting it would flow a lot of DEF - far more than it can use.
Thanks Rich, I agreed about the dosing. I replaced the Doser a while back with no results. It was the “same” part, but from an eBay source. That’s my only “suspicion”. But there are other things like ECM which have been updated. Still no help.

This is our issue:

View attachment 18740
Update: They found the pipe. 1K! Pick the coach up today. Gotta love it!

Latest resources

Back