Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wr Sahara
Fulltimer
No
After getting every code there was and not being able to figure this whole DEF disaster out. I have ordered a new head to be installed on Monday. Never got totally derated, but got so tired of being told it was coming. They said it also needs to be recalibrated, that’s 2K I didn’t expect.

Last edited:
I hate to hear this happening to you. It will take one time for me, and all that def garbage is coming off. My mechanic is just waiting for the word.

I hate to hear this happening to you. It will take one time for me, and all that def garbage is coming off. My mechanic is just waiting for the word.
I hope you reconsider. As much as DEF systems can be a hassle, they do keep the air cleaner. And I feel better knowing I am not choking DW when she is helping me back up. Plus, removing it is illegal and would make selling the unit harder.
I took the Freightliner class and was impressed by the science and technology behind it. Life is about small sacrifices.

After getting every code there was and not being able to figure this whole DEF disaster out. I have ordered a new head to be installed on Monday. Never got totally derated, but got so tired of being told it was coming. They said it also needs to be recalibrated, that’s 2K I didn’t expect.
I dont know about “recalibrating” - maybe its a Spartan thing, but typically you just replace the DEF header and after a few ignition cycles, the ECM recognizes the problem is gone and you are good to go. Mind listing your codes? I hope you are at a reputable shop - sounds questionable to me. Also I hope you didn’t mean an extra $2k for this so-called recalibration. $2K for the parts and labor for the whole job wouldn’t surprise me but really it shouldn’t be more than a couple hours labor soup to nuts.

I am surprised hearing a DEF failure on the "older" system. 2014 should have the earlier head which is less susceptible to issues as far as I know.

I am surprised hearing a DEF failure on the "older" system. 2014 should have the earlier head which is less susceptible to issues as far as I know.
They still fail but its often because the mechanical DEF level “float” is fouled and that is eaily and inexpensively repairable. Also a bad DEF pump will mimic a bad DEF head. That’s why I’d like to see the codes and hear a bit more about this. Many people have spent a lot of money unnecessarily because of a mis-diagnosis and/or unscrupulous shops taking advantage of unknowing customers and covering up their own mistakes at the owner’s expense.

It’s also entirely possible that the DEF head is bad and Spartan has had more trouble with this problem than Freightliner as they used a different (worse) supplier for their DEF heads. I’ve had my share of emissions problems and I try to learn from every case I read about.

My 2016 coach is on a chassis built in 2015 so it also has pre-2016 emissions, and it has had the DEF head and DEF pump replaced, fortunately while the emissions warranty was still in effect. But the DEF head may not have needed replacement (I’ll never know) and the DEF pump failure (which the shop initially diagnosed as a bad DEF head) might have been avoidable if I had known then what I know now about these systems.

I'm beginning to think Rich W should publish his phone number so we can call him anytime we get the dreaded DEF codes. It may be worth a nice fee, Rich.

I'm beginning to think Rich W should publish his phone number so we can call him anytime we get the dreaded DEF codes. It may be worth a nice fee, Rich.
I’ll always share whatever I can about these things and I check this forum daily. A PM will do it. And I always learn from the experience. My new unwanted hobby…..

I hope you reconsider. As much as DEF systems can be a hassle, they do keep the air cleaner. And I feel better knowing I am not choking DW when she is helping me back up. Plus, removing it is illegal and would make selling the unit harder.
I took the Freightliner class and was impressed by the science and technology behind it. Life is about small sacrifices.
I understand your concern for the environment as do I,but our safety to me is more important. We traveled to Alaska this past summer driving on roads for hundreds of miles without cell service, and not seeing the first signs of life. The locals in Canada advised us not to boondock because of crime, and the thought of not having any defense broken down on the side of the road because of def failure isn't comforting. I am just frustrated with poor quality equipment that we are forced to accept. As for as removing the def, it's just frustrating taking.

You don't have the 24/7 RICH app?

Latest resources

Back