Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
We drove home three weeks ago and then went on vacation (not in RV). Had no issues on ride home but when we started the engine yesterday a check engine light appeared and it said low DEF.. DEF was almost full so that made no sense. Any idea what is going on? Our dealer said we need to take in to Freightliner.

Use the Freightliner custom chassis 24/7 app and find the number and call them and see if there are any codes.

Probably level sensor failure. You are about to join the DEF Head replacement club.

Hate to admit it, but after we had a def head go out on us 18 months ago, my wife really didn't want to start on a couple long trips we are doing this year, with little wiggle room for an extended period of being broken down, without a spare def head in the basement. So, I'm not carrying a spare gen 7. Hope the sensor/DEF head itself doesn't have a shelf life, and I hope I don't have to use it.

Thinking is that even if I need a mobile mechanic that can do a forced regen and reset any codes, it's faster to get that lined up, then the mobile mechanic and getting him a head shipped from Spartan.

We drove home three weeks ago and then went on vacation (not in RV). Had no issues on ride home but when we started the engine yesterday a check engine light appeared and it said low DEF.. DEF was almost full so that made no sense. Any idea what is going on? Our dealer said we need to take in to Freightliner.
Been here so many times. Having a 2014 is a bit different though. Pick it up from Cummins tomorrow for the trip. Mine has always been the intake NOX sensor. not cheap but not the price of the head. We have never derated and the codes (Spartan) have always been cleared. I hope the same for you.

Latest resources

Back