• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Diesel Prices Are Going Up Really Fast

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The current actual main issue seems to be refineries. Refineries are hugely complex beasts. Some are running at reduced capacity or shut because of working issues. One had a fire I believe. Another big problem is that one big one got damaged from a hurricane a while back. It was estimated it would take over a billion dollars to get it back up and running correctly. The oil company basically abandoned it. Because....an expenditure like that has to amortized over like 20-30 years. The company, not being blind to current events, sees that people are buying more and more Lightnings, Teslas, and such and figure that gasoline is a dwindling market. Would they even need that refinery in another 20 years? So repairing it would likely be a loss. The kind of thing stockholders REALLY don't like. Businesses are in business to make a profit, duh. So I sure as heck don't have an answer to that one. So we're permanently short one big refinery. Oh, "BIG" refinery I should say. That's one contributing problem.
Bingo. Investors and the people who lend them money are afraid of having stranded assets. On a worldwide level approximately 17000 vehicles per day everyday are hitting the road that have
No gas tanks
No crank cases containing oil
No transmissions with trans fluid
No exhaust systems
No catalytic converters etc.

Annual maintenance consists of filling washer fluid.

So they lose 17000 customers per day, everyday. And that will be closer to 30,000 lost customers per day everyday by the end of 2024, and then that number will really start to climb.

Jmho but I doubt you’ll see refinery capacity ever increase again.

Jmho.

I've read numerous predictions on how many EVs will be on the road in the next 5 years, and the next 10 years. It depends on who you listen to. IMHO the only way half of us will be driving EVs in the next 10 years is if the technology gets 100% better and cheaper making them.

In the next couple of years if oil hits $150 per barrel and goes higher it won't really cause more EVs to be produced and purchased, it will simply drive the cost of everything we use in our daily lives through the roof and we will be in a huge recession.

I wander who is going to work on all the millions of new EV’s? Not like anyone can start opening panels and trying to fix stuff. The big Lithium battery packs can give you a life ending jolt if you don’t know what you are doing.

If there's a high demand (i.e., shortage) for electricity now (at least in California), what will it be five years from now ? A field of floating windmills in my fishing grounds doesn't thrill me...and the solar farms covering the countryside looks about as good as the hoop houses over our crops. I just can't figure out where all this electricity will come from. IF we were pro nuclear power I would "get it" ...but we are not. I recently tried to find a Toyota RAV4 Prime that was the best of both worlds...but gave up when I discovered they are almost impossible to find and dealers are price gouging (adding to MSRP) up to $7,000 per car. No thank you... I'll stick with being price gouged at the pump 😒

I wander who is going to work on all the millions of new EV’s? Not like anyone can start opening panels and trying to fix stuff. The big Lithium battery packs can give you a life ending jolt if you don’t know what you are doing.
Mechanics. Properly trained by the companies that make them. And for other stuff it’s just shocks, springs etc. it’s not a big deal.

If there's a high demand (i.e., shortage) for electricity now (at least in California), what will it be five years from now ? A field of floating windmills in my fishing grounds doesn't thrill me...and the solar farms covering the countryside looks about as good as the hoop houses over our crops. I just can't figure out where all this electricity will come from. IF we were pro nuclear power I would "get it" ...but we are not. I recently tried to find a Toyota RAV4 Prime that was the best of both worlds...but gave up when I discovered they are almost impossible to find and dealers are price gouging (adding to MSRP) up to $7,000 per car. No thank you... I'll stick with being price gouged at the pump 😒
Most countries and utilities are not having a problem with growing the capacity to meet the need. No idea on the US. But it’s a relatively small market for EV’s and will probably continue to develop at a much slower rate. The big growth will continue to be europe and Asia.

I've read numerous predictions on how many EVs will be on the road in the next 5 years, and the next 10 years. It depends on who you listen to. IMHO the only way half of us will be driving EVs in the next 10 years is if the technology gets 100% better and cheaper making them.

In the next couple of years if oil hits $150 per barrel and goes higher it won't really cause more EVs to be produced and purchased, it will simply drive the cost of everything we use in our daily lives through the roof and we will be in a huge recession.
Sure. Who knows. But without a doubt the number of vehicles using gas and diesel as a fuel will continue be in a constant albeit slow decline for the foreseeable future. So convincing companies and their investors to build refining capacity will be difficult.

Jmho.

I did a trip up to Oregon last week in my Tesla (range of 270 miles) and this was the first long trip I have done. I was impressed. Total distance distance one way was 526 miles. It required 5 stops to charge and the longest stop was 16 min. The rest were closer to 10 min adding an hour to the total travel time. Total supercharger costs one way was $28.80. I am sure my gas cost would have been closer to 90-100 for the same trip so it is pretty compelling to move in the direction of EV.

I did a trip up to Oregon last week in my Tesla (range of 270 miles) and this was the first long trip I have done. I was impressed. Total distance distance one way was 526 miles. It required 5 stops to charge and the longest stop was 16 min. The rest were closer to 10 min adding an hour to the total travel time. Total supercharger costs one way was $28.80. I am sure my gas cost would have been closer to 90-100 for the same trip so it is pretty compelling to move in the direction of EV.
Good morning. Curious on the 5 charge stops over 526 miles. We do a roughly 940 kilometre return trip and it’s typically a two or three charge trip. We’re you towing? Maybe I misunderstood the numbers.

I use an app called ABRP which you can configure to optimize the trip. You can choose longer charge times and less stops but I wanted the quickest arrival time.

1652720749352.png

1652720938397.png

Latest resources

Back