• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Diesel Prices Are Going Up Really Fast

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm confident the parks which are highly occupied with full-time residents will more easily survive this man-made crisis.

Like Neal, I'm convinced we are in the new norm of high energy costs until we get a change in administration. We could rather quickly become energy independent again with a phone call and the stroke of a pin.

Actually, the real costs are not the ones you would expect. Power isn't much if nobody is here, water is basically free as we have a well on site. The real costs are the plants and decorations that Trish likes to put out all year. :) And then the unbelievable amount of weedeating and mowing that has to be done to keep the place looking good.

But it's all good, I will be ready for a vacation anyway. It's the people whose parks are their income that are going to take the hit.
Does your reservation system say "Take $10 off if you mow and weed the beds"?

Trish and I had a lengthy discussion about the effects of fuel on the RV park business and we're contemplating closing down during the 2023-2024 seasons. Or at least until we see a change in the political attitude here in America.

We've only had a few reservations the entire month of May and I expect even less as time goes on. We've got a lot going on this year, but most of it was booked last year. Most of the other parks are suffering as well. We don't carry any debt, so we'll be fine. Can't say that for a lot of the other parks though.

There are too many static costs involved in running a park like ours and it makes no sense to work that hard when there isn't enough business to even break even. We might as well just head south and enjoy a nice long vacation.

America as we know it is being destroyed and I have serious concerns about our survival for the next couple of years. It just not possible to run a country into the ground like this and expect anything but disastrous results to come of it.
Hi Jim. One thing you might consider is to add your park to the App plugshare and the folks pulling small trailers with EV’s will know your rates and regs easier. You’ll be able to indicate how much your surcharge for charging is, any regs like “only one thing plugged in at a time” meaning EV or RV etc. Many of us find plugshare useful for that although not a lot of campgrounds have jumped on yet.

Hope it gets busier for you Jim.

Cheers.

@Jim , we have watched you make one correct decision after another since the beginning of your park owner adventure. You’ll do right here as well. Personally, I’d hate to think that the crap (technical term) going on in the world would suppress the creativity on display at parks such as yours. Your park is obviously a labor of love for both you and Trish. That’s how life is supposed to be.

I'm confident the parks which are highly occupied with full-time residents will more easily survive this man-made crisis.
Yep, agreed! My friend has 2 lots that he rents and he's a firm believer in "full time" renters. And to be honest, not a week goes by that I don't get a call from someone looking to lease a spot for an extended amount of time.

But I live on this property and it is my home. And what we've found is that when people stay longer than 30 days, they start acting differently and seem to forget that they are visitors.

So yeah, we could quickly fill the place up with full time renters, but that's just not our cup-o-tea, so to speak. :)

But I live on this property and it is my home. And what we've found is that when people stay longer than 30 days, they start acting differently and seem to forget that they are visitors.
I understand your concern, but being a full-timer I'm not in complete agreement with your belief. I think a lot of full-timers almost take a little ownership responsibility of the park they're in long term; I'm I know I do. I pitch in helping when I believe I can be helpful with some projects to the point of changing out faulty breakers on my pedestal, yes they furnished the breaker to replacing the packing on my water faucet, etc.

So yeah, we could quickly fill the place up with full time renters, but that's just not our cup-o-tea, so to speak. :)
Could not agree more!

Yep, agreed! My friend has 2 lots that he rents and he's a firm believer in "full time" renters. And to be honest, not a week goes by that I don't get a call from someone looking to lease a spot for an extended amount of time.

I agree with you. Seems every RV park we stay in has full timers that live there. These people act like they own the place. They ignore the rules. And their campsite looks horrible with all the "stuff" they collect. I'd keep from starting that if at all possible. It ruins the look of the place in my opinion.

I understand your concern, but being a full-timer I'm not in complete agreement with your belief. I think a lot of full-timers almost take a little ownership responsibility of the park they're in long term; I'm I know I do. I pitch in helping when I believe I can be helpful with some projects to the point of changing out faulty breakers on my pedestal, yes they furnished the breaker to replacing the packing on my water faucet, etc.
I'm sure you're the exception to the rule.

from one with considerable experience in property rental - very wise move….

Latest resources

Back