• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Diesel Prices Are Going Up Really Fast

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
OK. I don't want to spend 20-40 minutes of my day loitering around any kind of filling station. Maybe that's just me. But I suspect give things a few years to where electric cars are no longer novel and "special" and I will have company.
Meh. Typical supercharge for us is 15 to 20 minutes. We have however deliberately used public Chademo chargers with our adapter just to slow things down enough so we could have lunch. That’s probably the only time I have charged for 40 minutes.

On road trips a gas stop was never shorter than 15 minutes in our grand Cherokee. We still did the same stuff. Gas, pee, snack. Etc just how we roll.

Different frame of mind. We do leisurely stops too. But because we WANT to.
When you are forced to wait while wanting to be somewhere else and are happy about it then you aren't quite human. Or have rather more patience than I usually do. I've left more than a few fuel pumps with less than a full tank because the slowness of the pump was just wearing me down. There's a convenient gas station that has competitively low prices near me but I don't usually go there because I know how slow their pumps are.
They say you learn to take things more slowly when you retire, I've yet to get there myself and cannot say. My time is often still money.
"20-40" minutes of my day means assuming 1 or 2 stops respectively.

I fuel up my little daily driver pickup once every three weeks. Sometimes once a month. Very little of my lifetime is spent fueling that one.

Different frame of mind. We do leisurely stops too. But because we WANT to.
When you are forced to wait while wanting to be somewhere else and are happy about it then you aren't quite human. Or have rather more patience than I usually do. I've left more than a few fuel pumps with less than a full tank because the slowness of the pump was just wearing me down. There's a convenient gas station that has competitively low prices near me but I don't usually go there because I know how slow their pumps are.
They say you learn to take things more slowly when you retire, I've yet to get there myself and cannot say. My time is often still money.
"20-40" minutes of my day means assuming 1 or 2 stops respectively.

I fuel up my little daily driver pickup once every three weeks. Sometimes once a month. Very little of my lifetime is spent fueling that one.
And that is one advantage of an EV. Other than road trips all your “fueling” is done at home while you sleep. It’s about a 2 to 4 second procedure to hookup or unhook. I would say one of us hooks up 2 or 3 times a week. Nice to always have a full “tank”.

But yah. To each his own.

We finally rough sketched our 2022 travel plans. We will be heading out of Florida in a couple of weeks.

Yesterday we had to drive the F350 down to Ft. Myers (170 miles round trip). I noticed that diesel prices were about .15 higher down there so as we drove back I kept watching stations along the way to see where I could get it a little cheaper. Corner station by a friends house was cheaper than anyplace else so we decided on the way back out of her subdivision we would fill there. Thirty minutes later we returned to the station and they had raised it .27 per gallon! We drove on without filling.

The next town closer to our resort had a Shell that was the cheapest at $5.15 per gallon. I filled up ($150 plus). When I went inside for a receipt the clerk said my timing was good because he just got a paper telling him to jack the diesel price .27 per gallon. As I walked out the door he was using a remote and sure enough before I drove off the station's fuel price sign was changed to $5.42 per gallon!

Silly me......when I planned our beginning travels I figured diesel at between $5.50 and $6.00 per gallon. Now I suspect by June we will see diesel at $6.00 to $7.00 per gallon. Plus currently my OpenRoads (TSD) app isn't showing hardly any good discounts anywhere in the country.
The Wall Street Journal has a very disturbing article this morning concerning diesel shortages and possible "rationing" occurring soon, with prices rising up to possibly $10.00/gallon. Loves CEO is warning members of these possibilities. Diesel engine owners are going to have to get really creative if we want to continue with our travel plans this summer. Ugh....

The Wall Street Journal has a very disturbing article this morning concerning diesel shortages and possible "rationing" occurring soon, with prices rising up to possibly $10.00/gallon. Loves CEO is warning members of these possibilities. Diesel engine owners are going to have to get really creative if we want to continue with our travel plans this summer. Ugh....
Yep, and those behind the fiasco have no clue (or just don't care) what the economic result is going to be. My friend bought a thriving campground last year. It's small, like mine, but it's established and has always stayed full. Yesterday he told me he's had one visitor all month.

Yep, and those behind the fiasco have no clue (or just don't care) what the economic result is going to be. My friend bought a thriving campground last year. It's small, like mine, but it's established and has always stayed full. Yesterday he told me he's had one visitor all month.
We have noticed less RV’s on the road here as well all though the provincial parks definitely have people in them. We have been out camping 4 times this year and even in freezing temps people have been camping…including us. 😊.

We start our 6 province 11000 kilometre, 8 week tour next Tuesday. I’m thinking we may not need reservations as much as we thought.

Hang in there folks.

Hey @LoweCountryCamping, can you post a link to the WSJ story?
there have been several articles written. Here’s two.

Well, that hasn't worked yet.

Latest resources

Back