• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Do you plan all stops in advance? What tools do you use?,

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Look on the map from 275 to 350 miles from where we are, shorter the better.
Find campgrounds, look at campgrounds with google earth and see how easy access is. They have to be pull through.

Let’s see;
campgroundreviews.com
Apple maps and satellite view
iExit
AllStays Truck app
Garmin 780
and maybe GasBuddy

I try to stay at 300 miles per day and I try to stay at Thousand Trails campgrounds (CG) (sorta free) but if not I look for Passport America CG (PPA). Those are cheap and definitely no frills - usually not CG that you want to stay a few days. I stayed at one and the spot was right in front of their house - they ran an 50A extension cord out to me. Hey, for $20, I was ok, I had a destination (factory) to get to.
I use the measuring tool on Google Earth (GE) to plan my route and the 300 mile goals. I look for CG using the PPA add-in to GE.

Usually when we begin planning a trip my first step is Google Maps on my desktop. I put in A to B and any stops we might know of between A and B. Google Maps is pretty good about suggesting different routes if appropriate. I'll take the total mileage and divide it by 300 to roughly see how many days it will take w/o it being a race and adjust accordingly.

We also route plan when we can with TSD for fuel as that may effect our routing also.

Allstays is invaluable for both overall route planning and daily planning for rest stops and such.

That's a great suggestion to route around TSD

The second night - Copper Breaks in north Texas - looks like blasted desolation from Google Earth .
Third night - Dalhart, Texas.
If I could make a suggestion;
When you get to Amarillo take Lakeside (335) north around to 87 and Dumas then over to Dalhart.

Most mapping software takes you from the westside of Amarillo up Boys Ranch rd to 385. This road twists through the canyons before getting to 385. Great in a sports car not a MH.

I did something a little different this trip. Doing approximately 5K miles in two months. I use Travel Wizard mapping software, I put in my leaving and arriving destinations. Then I get that route and log on to Harvest Host. If you are not familiar with Harvest Host log on to website harvesthost.com . The stays are FREE, but you pay about $89.00 a year for membership

I look at my route on HH, and I figure out about every 300 to 400 miles a place I want to stop at. I set the place at approximately 10 miles off my current route. Got to remember no hook ups or water. We stayed at wineries, Honey farms, Beef Farms, restaurants and more.

I have a TSD card, I usually like to fill up a TA's they give the biggest discount. If you want to see some of Harvest Host sites, check out the thread, where were you with your Tiffin today.

HH

If I could make a suggestion;
When you get to Amarillo take Lakeside (335) north around to 87 and Dumas then over to Dalhart.

Most mapping software takes you from the westside of Amarillo up Boys Ranch rd to 385. This road twists through the canyons before getting to 385. Great in a sports car not a MH.
Yep that's what we plan! Thanks!

We are planning a May ‘22 trip to Charleston SC from eastern Kansas. Trip this last May to Savannah, Ga, so some common roads. On trip out start with Rand McNally atlas, then using Google maps pro, booked overnights through KOA. They fall about every 300 Miles or so and that makes a decent drive day. Stop every 2 hours to stretch and get gas. Out of Charleston heading to Florida gulf coast for couple days then northwest headed home. Not going to plan that out so much to see how we can do. Good Sam membership gives reference to sites on the way there and home. Keeping it simple. Once on road have a Garmin 890 to help.

Latest resources

Back