190 popular
RV Length
20'
Chassis
2009 Chevy express 3500
Engine
4.8L V8
Fridge no working, but freezer is.

The freezer chills first, then (gradually) the fridge temp will drop. Also, where is your thermistor located presently? Slide it up to the top (of the metal fins) for lower fridge temps. Note: Even if the plastic thermistor holder is at the top, pull it off (the fins) and look inside the plastic slider... Is your thermistor at the top of the plastic slider? If not, just push it up until it is, then place the plastic slider back on the metal fins up towards the top.

The freezer chills first, then (gradually) the fridge temp will drop. Also, where is your thermistor located presently? Slide it up to the top (of the metal fins) for lower fridge temps. Note: Even if the plastic thermistor holder is at the top, pull it off (the fins) and look inside the plastic slider... Is your thermistor at the top of the plastic slider? If not, just push it up until it is, then place the plastic slider back on the metal fins up towards the top.
Thank you

The Dometic we had in our old coach didn’t have the thermistor, just the setting on the panel for coldness.

We did add a couple computer fans to the air intake panel and had a couple battery powered fans in the refrigerator portion to help with air circulation.

The fans in the outside made a large difference to the overall operation and how well it cooled. Ice cream actually got hard in the freezer.

The above is correct, the first thing that will get cold when starting up is the freezer then you will notice the fridge portion getting cold.

One of the internal fans we used in the fridge portion was directed at the fins in the back to help circulate air across them.

The Dometic we had in our old coach didn’t have the thermistor, just the setting on the panel for coldness.

We did add a couple computer fans to the air intake panel and had a couple battery powered fans in the refrigerator portion to help with air circulation.

The fans in the outside made a large difference to the overall operation and how well it cooled. Ice cream actually got hard in the freezer.

The above is correct, the first thing that will get cold when starting up is the freezer then you will notice the fridge portion getting cold.

One of the internal fans we used in the fridge portion was directed at the fins in the back to help circulate air across them.
Thank you

I have never seen a Dometic fridge without a thermistor. All of them have to have one of some kind. The newer ones just have settings on the upper board that change how the board on the back can "see" the thermistor.

I have never seen a Dometic fridge without a thermistor. All of them have to have one of some kind. The newer ones just have settings on the upper board that change how the board on the back can "see" the thermistor.
Ours was the large 4 door fridge in our Forester.

The control panel behind the one freezer door had a button for setting the temp - 1 through 5 I believe instead of having to physically move the actual thermistor.

You didn't move the thermistor but you could have. This was more intuitive for people that had no idea the thermistor existed or what it did. (Lots of people) I have a Norcold with 5 settings but the thermistor is in plain sight on the fins. Most of the units we replaced this last summer were Norcold 1200 series, they have 9 settings. Still have a thermistor on the fins.

Fridge no working, but freezer is.
These fridges use ammonia as a circulating through tuber and coil system to cool. This system is very susceptible to failure if they are not level. Over time the ammonia crystalizes and restricts or blocks the flow of the ammonia. When this happens the only choices are to repair the fridge (complete new cooling elements) or replace the fridge. I am not saying that is the case with yours but I did want you to be aware of the possibility. Speaking from experience lost my fridge this way. Replaced with Resi fridge.
Fridge 2 installed.jpg

These fridges use ammonia as a circulating through tuber and coil system to cool. This system is very susceptible to failure if they are not level. Over time the ammonia crystalizes and restricts or blocks the flow of the ammonia. When this happens the only choices are to repair the fridge (complete new cooling elements) or replace the fridge. I am not saying that is the case with yours but I did want you to be aware of the possibility. Speaking from experience lost my fridge this way. Replaced with Resi fridge.View attachment 21355
Your post brings up the leveling issue! However the thermistor, vent between compartments, and overloading, would be the likely causes in this instance. You have brought up something that I see needs addressing!

A propane refrigerator that you might find today, likely has a double walled boiler, this design keeps the wall in contact with the brine below the160 degree Chrystal forming temperature, so unless the ammonium is trapped In the workings, due to an unlevel condition, Chrystals should not be forming.

It should also be noted that leveling is more important side to side of the fridge itself. Most will handle front to back unlevel conditions. This is why some s/v cruisers have propane refrigerators. Most failures are related to the controls,low voltage on the 12vdc system, or the previously posted responses.

Latest resources

Back