Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Counterpoint

RVF Newbee
I would just like to comment on Dometic products. The Dometic rooftop A/c unit I had installed two years ago seems to be operating very well.
But the thermostat is like something made by Lego. It looks cheap when you open it up, and it is a piece of junk, The cover buttons don’t work; it is necessary to take cover off and push metal leads directly,
I bought two of these at a local RV dealer and they both failed. Neither displayed properly and had to be returned. Simply the cheapest, chinsiest design I have seen on any RV product,
Dometic should be ashamed for putting this piece of junk on the shelves.

Oof, comparing Lego to Dometic? What did Lego ever do to you?

Oof, comparing Lego to Dometic? What did Lego ever do to you?
Sorry....didn't mean to offend any Lego afficianodos. Was reaching for an example. How about, "like a Yugo manufactured part." Or designed by the same guy responsible for the Pinto.....or, fill in the blank. :) Whatever you want to compare it to, it is an embarrassment to Dometic for such a shoddy product to be on the shelves.

I'm sure @MapNerd was just joking. The problem is Dometic owns the market, IMHO. The RV market has a different standard from other markets we deal with such as home and auto. It seems things just have to last 3 years. Beyond that is bonus.

I would just like to comment on Dometic products. The Dometic rooftop A/c unit I had installed two years ago seems to be operating very well.
But the thermostat is like something made by Lego. It looks cheap when you open it up, and it is a piece of junk, The cover buttons don’t work; it is necessary to take cover off and push metal leads directly,
I bought two of these at a local RV dealer and they both failed. Neither displayed properly and had to be returned. Simply the cheapest, chinsiest design I have seen on any RV product,

You could upgrade your thermostat:

Can you post a pic of the thermostat you're talking about? I installed 2 new Dometic 15K units a couple years ago. Had to go with the new digital thermostat. It works perfectly!! You must not have gotten the one I did.

Our rooftop AC and inside furnace is controlled by a Dometic thermostat. The trailer is a 2016 model that was manufactured in 2015. The thermostat is original and works just as it should. I guess some folks just get a lemon and no gin and ice to go with it.

You could upgrade your thermostat:
And just like that @redbaron deducts another $250 from my account.

And just like that @redbaron deducts another $250 from my account.
Thank you so much for this tip. I have a call into my mobile rv guy to replace this one with another, better brand. I realize that sometimes a supplier gets a bad batch, etc. But it was a major hassle to have to go back twice to exchange, and then have the same problem happen again. All the best....

Our rooftop AC and inside furnace is controlled by a Dometic thermostat. The trailer is a 2016 model that was manufactured in 2015. The thermostat is original and works just as it should. I guess some folks just get a lemon and no gin and ice to go with it.
It very well could be the case. But I knew when I looked at the replacement one that it was flimsy, inside and out. And the cover buttons never work right. I am happy that yours is functioning so well. Don't jiggle it or anything! :). Seriously, thanks for your comment.

Latest resources

Back