• Commercial/Vendors welcome

How are these UL listed?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Charging your EV from a motor home or RV generator?

Roger
Well, an EV can charge from pretty much any receptacle using the correct “smart” adapter. But in this case it would just plug straight into the 14-30 and charge at 24 amps 240 volts. The 5-20 receptacles would be much slower. (16 amps at 120 volts).

Amazon product ASIN B09QF3RDZ9
Having 30A available at a 5-20R seems like a no-starter for me but what do I know, I'm only an engineer?
These are tested UL certified to a UL standard. To obtain the listing all testing is witnessed by UL an if done successfully the product is UL Listed. If you want to research farther you can go to UL site and determine standard.

You also have to be careful when you see UL. Read it closely in some cases you will see something to the effect tested to UL. This does not mean it carries a UL listing. It means someone is saying they have tested or designed product to meet the intent of the standard not that is actually tested and listed.

Did you know that even some duct tapes carry UL ?

Amazon product ASIN B09QF3RDZ9
Having 30A available at a 5-20R seems like a no-starter for me but what do I know, I'm only an engineer?
I agree with you!!
The deception comes in the description. .

delivery

Iron Forge Cable 30 Amp to 20 Amp RV Electrical Adapter Powe...
(38)
$23.99
DetailsDetails
BrandIRON FORGE CABLE
Connector GenderMale-to-Female
Voltage125 Volts
Input Current20 Amps
Wattage2500 watts

We have a 30 amp protected circuit supplying a 20 amp cord. Done right use of this cord would have a 20 amp breaker or fuse to make for safe use by those that don't understand, or care to understand, the limitations of this arrangement. Shame on UL for not catching this!

A more detailed explanation of "U.L. Listed" might be in order.
When I went through a 2-year industrial electrician course, we had a field trip through the U.L. lab. Interesting to find out that U.L doesn't set the standards. It's more an excepted/accredited testing lab that actually tests items for the claims the manufacturer advertises. The testing is requested by the manufacturer, and paid for by the manufacturer. U.L. then puts the item through testing procedures, that they have to figure out how to do. (More on this later.) The mfgr has no say in U.L.'s procedures. If the item passes U.L. tests, (based on the mfgr's claims), then it earns the "U.L. Listed" rating, and the manufacturer can then boldly advertise their product as such. (It really is worth a fair amount of money to the MFGR to be able to put that on their packaging)

Now....the "more on this"......if a manufacturer claims some item is fireproof for a duration of say, 8 hours at XXXX* F, then U.L. builds a fire chamber, and subjects that item to at least the mfgr's claims, (usually to greater than the claims), and if it really is fireproof for that time, at that temperature, then it passes and gets the UL listed rating.

So.....if that adapter cord has a legitimate "U.L. Listed" claim on the packaging, then it's been tested, and has passed all the claims that are also on the packaging. If the U.L. claim is not legitimate, the mfgr has opened themself up to a massive civil lawsuit that could cost them billions in todays sue-happy society.

Just a tidbit of info.....Roger

Yes and they opened the door by offering a devices that bypasses the protections of NEC requirements concerning circuit protection leaving the unsuspecting public at risk.

When a manufacturer offers a product for sale that is a known hazard, that a national code covers, that manufacturer deserves the backlash, not UL. So let's just sit back and see how long the company lasts if a fire is caused by it.

No argument from me, Kevin. Too bad "we" let unscrupulous manufacturers make such crap and sell them on the open market. The real issue here is that it's likely made by some Chinese outfit, and if something does happen, then the lawsuit has to go through the state department before it can proceed with any real steam. Does anybody reading this think the state department isn't going to interfere with a lawsuit that is against a nation with "most favored nation" trade status?

That's as close as I'm going to get to a political statement.....Roger

FWIW, this is the cheapest of such adapters I could find on Amazon, likely from a company that won't be around next year anyway as many (most?) selling bottom of the barrel crap, for lack of a better word, manufactured and likely headquartered overseas. I did see one that had a breaker box of sorts inline. That I have a 14-30R at the back of my house prompted me to see what's available specifically to be able to use 120V tools with very little voltage drop vs. a 75' extension cord run from in the garage.

Latest resources

Back