RV Year
RV Make
Cougar
RV Length
28'
Fulltimer
No
Last edited by a moderator:
That would be hard to forgive yourself for! Double and triple check your pre departure checklist! I will be towing my GMC Canyon which has a five or six step process to go thru to place the system in neutral. I was considering buying a Jeep for the ease of tow set up but maybe it is too easy?

Some of us do not care to be part of Facebook and the first link does not work for us.

As part of my check list, after I’m all hooked up, as a last step in the process I get in the jeep and start it up, and let out the clutch with it in gear to confirm without any doubt that the transfer case is in neutral. No exceptions. I don’t know if that’s the same one or a different occurrence, but I saw a story like that last year. I really makes an impression!

As part of my check list, after I’m all hooked up, as a last step in the process I get in the jeep and start it up, and let out the clutch with it in gear to confirm without any doubt that the transfer case is in neutral.
We do something similar.

We have a Ready Brute tow bar, which btw, I absolutely hate. Sometimes, no, most of the time, it's a bear to get both arms to lock in. So to be sure that it locks property, Trish walks beside the Jeep and makes sure we're good-to-go. At the same time, she's watching to make sure the Jeep is rolling properly as well.

As part of my check list, after I’m all hooked up, as a last step in the process I get in the jeep and start it up, and let out the clutch with it in gear to confirm without any doubt that the transfer case is in neutral. No exceptions. I don’t know if that’s the same one or a different occurrence, but I saw a story like that last year. I really makes an impression!
And on top of what you said one of us stays out by the jeep to check lights nd a good roll with the Jeep.

We tow a 2012 Wrangler with an automatic transmission. With the engine running and transmission in neutral I move the transfer box to neutral and then shift the transmission back and forth from drive to reverse while reving the engine. If the Jeep doesn’t move I know I’m good to go. Always also check the emergency brake.

Latest resources

Back