• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Drive RV or trailer?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
go rent a couple of times, you answers will have some context after getting some experience. Every rig is a compromise in one way or another. Budget can really impact options.

When we took the plunge a couple of years ago we were complete newbie's. We thought we wanted a class c. we didn't want to have to buy two rigs at once (TT and tow vehicle or 5er and tow vehicle) we had a "spare" car I knew i could dolly tow. Our search moved to Class A after trying a few class c rigs. Sticker shock kept us in the Class A gasser range. After 2 years with our first rig, more space and better driving characteristics moved us over to a DP.

best of luck

A lot of different opinions, ideas, and experiences.

When we had our Class A coaches (one 37' gasser and one 43' DP) we had a couple different toad combinations, most of which prevented us from backing up more than a few feet. Sooner or later every RVer ends up in a situation where they have to back up. It could be in that fuel line when the guy in front of you can't get his rig started, or it could be in a traffic jam somewhere, but it will happen. With our fivers I can back up all day if need be.

Two days ago we were on our last leg of a western trip. We were just about to exit the interstate for a short 5 miles drive to a campground where we will now stay for almost a month. A car beside me waved me down and yelled that I had something leaking from under my truck. I made the exit and started watching the gauges and my transmission temp began to rise. I was able to make the campground and back into our assigned site. There was coolant leaking out from under the truck.

The next morning I drove to a Ford dealer which was located less than a mile down the road. They found a transmission cooler hose had come off. The repairs were made and I had my truck back all in the same day.

My point here is what if that exact same thing happen and we had our 43' DP. I would have had to locate a Cummins/Freightliner service center, if there was one within a few miles maybe nursed the coach into them, if further it would have had to be towed. We certainly would have been out of our "house" for at least one 24 hour period, maybe more.

I have heard the argument before about being able to eat lunch in a Class A while traveling in the rain or having a comfortable place to wait out the rain when arriving at a campsite. First of all, even when we had our coaches I always ate outside, usually while walking around. I spend enough time in that driver's seat so when we stop I'm up and moving. Secondly, since 2011 there has probably only been a couple times where we have arrived at our destination and had to wait for a break in the rain to set up camp.

As far as driving a 1-ton diesel truck as a daily driver, well it can have some challenges if you allow it to I suppose. Our F350 is a dually with the mega cab and an 8' bed, therefore it is not only wide but longer than most pickups. We don't use fast food drive thru lanes anymore. When shopping we park in the back of the lot because we fit nicely in 4 spaces. Do we have to walk further? Of course we do which is absolutely good for us IMHO. As far as hooking up and dropping the fiver it is so simple one of my 12 year old grandkids could do it. Ford, and most other brands, have the 360 cameras on every 1-ton truck now. Simply engage the view from the roof looking down into the bed, hit the zoom, and you can back it into the king pin perfectly each and every time. I can hook up my 20,000 pound fiver quicker than most can connect their 4-down toad behind a DP.

Nope, based on our experiences we will now be sticking with a fiver. In the years to come as we transition back into a sticknbrick we will probably end up towing a travel trailer for part time traveling.

Latest resources

Back