• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Eastward suggestions?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
In April is all about watching the weather and having "Plan B" ready to execute." Snow storms/blizzards are not uncommon on the western slope or the front range in April/May.
I went to HS in Loveland back in the 70s. Many weekend dashes to the I-70W resorts for a day of skiing. Back then Estes Park was pretty much closed in the winter, nothing was open, no fast food, just the locals left to winter it out. Lake Eldora was the closest ski slop from where we lived, pretty tame compared to the others but still a fun time.

I want to drive the western segment of U.S. Route 2 one summer West to East.

Thank you all for the excellent advice. It means a lot that people are willing to share their expertise and experience. So glad y'all mentioned the weather issue. It's been nice and warm here outside of Phoenix although there was snow on the ground when we drove up to the Flagstaff area for my husband to get his first Covid vaccination four weeks ago. Best thing about having to travel up there for his shot was not missing the opportunity to spend a couple of days at the Grand Canyon and in Sedona after his vaccination. I've been there before but an opportunity is an opportunity. First time I saw the Grand Canyon in winter. Beautiful sunrise and sunset! Anyway we will take your advise and make sure what kind of weather we are heading into. We can always jump on to route 40 to head east. Is the weather in the Moab area typically as bad as Colorado in early April? I was thinking we could still go there and then head south before heading east.
Rosie
Thank You So Much GIF

Is the weather in the Moab area typically as bad as Colorado in early April?
No, likely not, but then April anywhere in the Mountain West can see snow. In southern Utah, that is pretty unlikely. Actually, I think April is one of the better times to visit that area; fewer visitors and the temperatures are moderate. Just watch the weather forecasts for an unusual weather change and proceed accordingly.

TJ

Thank you all for the excellent advice. It means a lot that people are willing to share their expertise and experience. So glad y'all mentioned the weather issue. It's been nice and warm here outside of Phoenix although there was snow on the ground when we drove up to the Flagstaff area for my husband to get his first Covid vaccination four weeks ago. Best thing about having to travel up there for his shot was not missing the opportunity to spend a couple of days at the Grand Canyon and in Sedona after his vaccination. I've been there before but an opportunity is an opportunity. First time I saw the Grand Canyon in winter. Beautiful sunrise and sunset! Anyway we will take your advise and make sure what kind of weather we are heading into. We can always jump on to route 40 to head east. Is the weather in the Moab area typically as bad as Colorado in early April? I was thinking we could still go there and then head south before heading east.
Rosie
Thank You So Much GIF
I don't know what you are specifically doing in Moab but if I were you I would spend a few days in Arches National Park and then head south if that is the route you are taking. It is open and very likely very quiet this time of the year. Keep in mind that to see most of the arches you have to hike, depending which ones you want to see, a couple of miles, for example Delicate Arch is like 3 miles round trip. The weather in Moab is always warmer than CO. It is more like high desert weather. Very pleasant in early Spring and less crowded. Get out of there by early May.

When you see a sign that says "Next Exit 40 miles" or "Next Services 40 Miles".....they arent kidding. I-80, I-90, and even I-10 in West Texas, dont leave town on less than a full tank between long stretches.

Also, somewhere in Montana there is a sign at a rest stop that says "No Petting, Buffalo Are Dangerous Animals". I always wondered who jumped the fence to pet a cute baby buffalo and where is that guys grave?

I don't know what you are specifically doing in Moab but if I were you I would spend a few days in Arches National Park and then head south if that is the route you are taking. It is open and very likely very quiet this time of the year. Keep in mind that to see most of the arches you have to hike, depending which ones you want to see, a couple of miles, for example Delicate Arch is like 3 miles round trip. The weather in Moab is always warmer than CO. It is more like high desert weather. Very pleasant in early Spring and less crowded. Get out of there by early May.
Thanks Pablo, you seem to have quite a bit of expertise. We enjoy hiking but not on expert rated trails. Finding a place to camp looks like it could be a challenge. I have also been looking at Vermilion Cliffs National Monument and Grand Staircase National Monument. Not sure where to camp but would love to go and explore. My brother keeps telling us to go to Buckskin Gulch but I'm not sure if that would be too rigorous for us and even where to approach it to hike there. There are so many beautiful places to see. But once we hit around April 7 or so, we will need to start the serious traveling east.

You might try Mountain Directory for road guidance and local state DOT for traffic and live cams

Thanks Pablo, you seem to have quite a bit of expertise. We enjoy hiking but not on expert rated trails. Finding a place to camp looks like it could be a challenge. I have also been looking at Vermilion Cliffs National Monument and Grand Staircase National Monument. Not sure where to camp but would love to go and explore. My brother keeps telling us to go to Buckskin Gulch but I'm not sure if that would be too rigorous for us and even where to approach it to hike there. There are so many beautiful places to see. But once we hit around April 7 or so, we will need to start the serious traveling east.
Being in Moab and not going to Arches National Park could be considered a Capital Sin. If you are from the East coast and you are planning to go to Moab you must consider Arches. You will not regret it.
You can stay in the park with your RV and contemplate the Milky way every night.

You might also consider the lottery to visit the wave in southern Utah.

Latest resources

Back