Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Branson

RVF Regular
We are newbies and are attempting to “learn” the system before we go to a site. We are attempting to drain the grey tank and after water is run into the tank for a short period, I open the grey tank valve located in lower compartment and no water drains out. Am I doing anything wrong?

Hey there. You haven’t told us your rig and it’s not in your profile. So, I’ll have to make some assumptions.

1. You say “run water”? You’re running regular tap or shower water, right?

2. You’re on level ground?

3. You’re aware that the “Tank Flush” inlet in the Wet Bay ONLY flushes the BLACK tank with water, right?

4. You’re making sure you pull the Gray tank valve; should be the gray handle, attached to the SMALLER diameter pipe.

Hope this helps.

If it doesn’t, or you don’t have a late model Newmar, you may have another valve or even an obstruction.

I buy and use these in my gray tank. Note, You said newbies, so the kitchen, shower, bathrooms sinks, washer if equipped, all drain into the gray tank. Make sure you know the capacity of that tank in gallons, and if using washer, watch levels in it religiously so it does not overflow onto roof, or worse into house.

Our process, been doing the RV thing for 30+ years. If arriving at campsite, I open up gray tank valve, if staying more than 3 days, if less, I let gray water store in tank, because once I dump sewer (black tank) I am going to use the gray water to flush out the hose before I stow. If more than 3 days I open up gray valve and then couple days before departure I close it, for same reason as mentioned. I put in the stuff contained at the link to clean out the tank because of all the soap scum, and what have you that gets into it from the kitchen sink. We use a screen on the kitchen sink drain to catch as much food particles as possible, and as I'm doing dishes after drying, I dry out sink completely so it does not get stained (we have stainless steel sinks in kitchen), if the other kind of material, I would do it too, but then I'm anal about keeping it looking nice. If SS, we purchased a rubber mat thing and keep in bottom of sink to keep it from getting scratched, and I rinse and dry that before placing back into sink. Way too much information, but our sink look like the day it was installed in the coach. Unlike some kitchen sinks which look like a battle had been fought in them.

Thanks so much for your reply and information. Was very helpful. There is so much to learn with these high tech machines.

Read all the manuals, at least once a year. You will then learn things you knew but forget.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back