Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
400 Cummins
TOW/TOAD
28' car hauler or 2019 F-150 4x4 Sport
Fulltimer
No
My entry steps suddenly started moving like spring board when stepping on them. They were a solid step before. Does anyone have an idea why this would be happening? Thank you in advance for all answers.

Inspect for structural failure

Had a hairline crack in the mounting bracket on one side in a weld on my last coach - could only see it when there was weight applied. For that one, the answer was adding a piece of steel and a few #12 thread cutting screws underneath to better support as the crack was where sheetmetal was welded to angle if just re-welded, the score was going to be sheetmetal 0, steel angle 2.

Last edited:
I found that my gear had jumped a tooth and step was not fully extending. Pulled motor off, got the gear back in place. Works fine! I believe this happened when I was in a hurry to get out and the step was not fully out.

You're lucky if you could fix it. May want to keep a spare motor on hand in the event something is going on with a tooth that allowed that. And yes, definitely no step on until fully extended.

You're lucky if you could fix it. May want to keep a spare motor on hand in the event something is going on with a tooth that allowed that. And yes, definitely no step on until fully extended.

Happened to me when I opened the door/ step too close to a curb. Had to replace the motor and gear assembly. Less than $30 on Amazon

Its $106 now. Thats some serious inflation!

It's not the motor that would need replaced it would be the mounting bracket that the motor bolts to and swings the step where that gear is at.

Mine is kind of springy, but I think it’s my 325lbs is the main issue. :)

Latest resources

Back