37ft
Chassis
Ford
TOW/TOAD
2022 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Bay Star 2022 3626
Good morning everyone on this long weekend.
We were at a beautiful campsite that we do frequently just for a close trip-Kimberely City, Mo on Table Rock lake. We had planned to leave this morning, but came home late yesterday. Leave all the crowds for the weekend.
Went to shut entry door/would not shut. Have had problems with the door since day 1. Needed to slammed door to shut. Yes, we know should have addressed it when new. We could not get dead bolt to lock so we decided we were going to have to tie it shut. Went to tie it/the dead bolt worked. Next morning same thing door won't shut/dead bolt won't work after opening. I think I had read people have had problems with entry door locks. This is the standard lock not keyless. I had asked dealer about installing keyless and was told you don't want that. Hum-
We are thinking we will need new lock kit. Has anyone changed theirs. Husband is semi handy, hopefully he won't see that comment. Any input would be appreciated. With it off/on have a fear of getting locked out or locked inside. Not a good thought of crawling through a window. That would not be pretty.
Thanks!

Bay Star 2022 3626
Good morning everyone on this long weekend.
We were at a beautiful campsite that we do frequently just for a close trip-Kimberely City, Mo on Table Rock lake. We had planned to leave this morning, but came home late yesterday. Leave all the crowds for the weekend.
Went to shut entry door/would not shut. Have had problems with the door since day 1. Needed to slammed door to shut. Yes, we know should have addressed it when new. We could not get dead bolt to lock so we decided we were going to have to tie it shut. Went to tie it/the dead bolt worked. Next morning same thing door won't shut/dead bolt won't work after opening. I think I had read people have had problems with entry door locks. This is the standard lock not keyless. I had asked dealer about installing keyless and was told you don't want that. Hum-
We are thinking we will need new lock kit. Has anyone changed theirs. Husband is semi handy, hopefully he won't see that comment. Any input would be appreciated. With it off/on have a fear of getting locked out or locked inside. Not a good thought of crawling through a window. That would not be pretty.
Thanks!
WE have an older Coachman Encore and we have had the door lock behind us a couple times so we keep a key hidden just in case. We have been looking for a keyless entry but have not found one. WE also have had instances where the door would be hard to open or close. Some f this can be caused by the coach not being properly leveled which puts a twist on the frame and binds things up.

"Keyless locks" suggest battery powered, and batteries die at the least opportune times for the humans. I'd bet that those "keyless" locks come with some type of key for opening in case of dead battery(s).

(My opinion notwithstanding), Wemustrv is correct about frame/chassis twist. I have also experienced a lock (not the deadbolt) that is difficult to latch due to lack of lubrication. I'll spray it, it works fine for the season, and next season it starts all over again. I have yet to find a lube that doesn't dry up on me. :mad:

Roger

I changed the lock on our trailer door. It was pretty easy and took ten minutes or so. My wife would probably call me semi handy as well.

Our CanyonStar had a similar issue. We had the door adjusted at Newmar Service Center when there for annual service. Door closed easily and securely ever since, no slamming necessary.

"Keyless locks" suggest battery powered, and batteries die at the least opportune times for the humans. I'd bet that those "keyless" locks come with some type of key for opening in case of dead battery(s).

(My opinion notwithstanding), Wemustrv is correct about frame/chassis twist. I have also experienced a lock (not the deadbolt) that is difficult to latch due to lack of lubrication. I'll spray it, it works fine for the season, and next season it starts all over again. I have yet to find a lube that doesn't dry up on me. :mad:

Roger

Roger
Thanks everyone
Roger do you use a special lubrication? Might try it before we go/replace lock.
I bet the door is out of alignment beings it's been since day 1 of hard to shut.

Thanks everyone
Roger do you use a special lubricant? Might try before we go changing the lock.
I bet the door is out of alignment

Lock lubricant should be dry!!! In the past graphite was the lubricant of choice. However I have used Teflon dry lubricant, and silicone dry lubricant as well. If not totally dry dust will collect and cause more serious problems in the future.

Many times the door lock strike is miss aligned, doors or frames warp. Another issue is weather stripping. Weather stripping will compact over time, making adjustment of the strike a maintenance issue, but who doesn't want a tight sealing door?

Lock lubricant should be dry!!! In the past graphite was the lubricant of choice. However I have used Teflon dry lubricant, and silicone dry lubricant as well. If not totally dry dust will collect and cause more serious problems in the future.

Many times the door lock strike is miss aligned, doors or frames warp. Another issue is weather stripping. Weather stripping will compact over time, making adjustment of the strike a maintenance issue, but who doesn't want a tight sealing door?
Yep.....I use a dry silicone spray. Maybe I should change brands?

Roger

I noticed thatleveling with the door open can get things mis aligbed. Also check for loose screws just under the dead bolt on the door’s edge, and that all of the screws on the inside are tight.

Latest resources

Back