Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Luis O.

RVF Newbee
The original company was bought out by Lippert which also bought out furrion. Currently I have problems with a refrigerator that is only 14 months old, I am not a full timer. Kyle Flack from Furrion/lippert just informed me that they do not have a service manual nor do they know the specs on the refrigerator part.

Why would anyone spend over $ 1500.00 for a refrigerator that cant be fixed.

Luis

Currently it is not defrosting and I have a burn mark on the connection of the heating element. See attached pic.
I have not been able to take it apart since I am still on the road having to defrost the refrigeration every 5-7 days

Not sure if its a loose connection, bad thermistor, bad heating element. The confusing thing is that even though it has a burn mark it has never taken the fuse. I am hoping that its just a loose connection and that I can get to it.

Furrion responded to my email: Were I asked them: Who would buy a refrigerator that cant be repaired?
Their response
"There are certain parts that can be replaced to repair the fridge, but depending on the issue the entire fridge will need replaced as those parts are not replaceable."

If they do not have a service manual with specifications like what is the resistance of the Thermistor, how do you determine if the thermistor is bad. Start replacing part and hope that it fixes the problem.

Do have a specific 12v refrigerator that you think would be better. I do not plan to buy another everchill if I need to replace this one.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20230316_015524.jpg
    20230316_015524.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 8
That certainly does not look good....If it burned up, it would not cool at all, unless you are running on propane. I would not use it on electric with that burn mark. You are correct that the thermistor can cause it to frost up. . Also correct that you need to know the ohm range at x temp to test it. All the RV makes have their naysayers, we have worked on all brands, except Everchill......also called never chill..seems yours is over chill.
Is there a movable thermistor in the freezer? Or is it controlled by buttons? Also, frosting up tells me it is getting moist outside air inside. Check your seals by putting a dollar bill in and close the door. Pull the bill out to check for tight seals. Not sure about Everchill but he drain plug on the back is supposed to have a plug in it with small holes. This keeps some water in the drain and prevents warm air from entering the fridge and causing problems.

I appreciate your help.

Yes there is a thermistor in the freezer. It is cooling on 12v. It does not have propane.
Do you think that the burn mark is due to a faulty connection? Can a bad thermistor "get stuck" and overheat the heating element?

What controls the defrost cycle?. Mother board, temperature or a timer which I have not seen?

If I cut and cap the wire to the heating element will the refrigerator work and can I use it without the defroster? Knowing that I might have to defrost manually on occasion.

Of all the 12v. refrigerators you have worked on is there one that you think is better or is it just a crap shoot.

Do you have an heating element from an old everchill that you would consider selling?
Once again thanks
Luis

Phew, lot there. I have no parts to an Everchill. So this is a 12v only fridge? The burn marks are certainly not because good things are happening. No a bad thermistor will not over heat the element. There is no defrost cycle that I know off.....I have not worked on 12 vdc fridges yet as they are new and I have not seen a bad one but have heard they suck. Also, the 12 vdc fridges are running a compressor and do not use a heat element so I don't know what is going on with that. If you want the best, get a residential fridge that will fit in the hole nicely, wait for the new shine to wear off the 12v craze and they are proven to work, and if that does not work go back to the old absorption style fridges that everyone seems to hate.

Hate to read this post. Our new Forest River Salem has the 12v Everchill fridge. Maybe it is time to consider an ESP

Looking at your photo, it looks like maybe you have a failed connection. You could try to remove the male and female connectors and hardwire them together to test if that is the only problem you have. A failed connection could be the result from another problem, but splicing the wires would be a cheap and easy way to test things.

Latest resources

Back