• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Fire Extinguishers

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
A 2A10BC should be standard issue. It’s enough to stop a small fire and if you have a fire too advanced for a 2A10BC you should just grab your valuables and abandon ship because even if you manage to put it out without injuring yourself, if the coach doesn’t get totaled and gets repaired, it will never be the same, you’ll have constant electrical issues from then on, and you’ll be living in an environment contaminated by the many toxic products of combustion.

I have the Newmar issued small extinguisher by the door and a 2A10BC in the one of the rear compartments on the door side. So I can stop a small fire inside and an engine or brake fire if I catch it in time. But prevention is really the most important approach because these things burn fast and even a small fire will do a lot of damage.

Regarding dry-chem extinguishers carried in or on vehicles, you should turn them upside down several times and shake them up a bit every couple months, and then have them serviced annually. The powdered extinguishing agent in dry-chem extinguishers tends to compact and solidify when the extinguisher just sits in a mount all its life and is constantly subjected to vehicle/road vibration, and then not deploy when you pull the pin and squeeze the handle. You’ll just get the propellent gas and maybe a little dust, which may be for the best, but probably a bit disconcerting anyway.

Also anyone who anticipates ever being in the position of having to use an extinguisher on an actual unintentional fire should get live-fire extinguisher training in advance. Its fun and informative and using a dry-chem extinguisher effectively is not nearly as simple or straight-forward as most people think. During an emergency is not the time to learn how to use them, especially if you only have one because more than likely the first one will be wasted during the learning experience.

Last edited:
Rich...I'm thinking you are the perfect guy to ask: Where does one get the "live-fire extinguisher training class ?

Rich...I'm thinking you are the perfect guy to ask: Where does one get the "live-fire extinguisher training class ?
Fire departments often give classes under their public education programs, free of charge. So start with your local FD, and if they dont have a program, they should be able to point you to one that does.

This is the basic process: How To Use a Fire Extinguisher
PASS is the acronym to remember and the ”Aim” part, as stated in the instructions at that link, is crucial.

And then there is this:
  • NEVER FIGHT A FIRE IF:
    bullet2.gif (950 bytes)
    You don't know what is burning. If you don't know what is burning, you don't know what type of extinguisher to use. Even if you have an ABC extinguisher, there may be something in the fire which is going to explode or produce highly toxic smoke. Chances are, you will know what's burning, or at least have a pretty good idea, but if you don't, let the fire department handle it.
    bullet2.gif (950 bytes)
    The fire is spreading rapidly beyond the spot where it started. The time to use an extinguisher is in the incipient, or beginning, stages of a fire. If the fire is already spreading quickly, it is best to simple evacuate the building, closing doors and windows behind you as you leave.
    bullet2.gif (950 bytes)
    Your instincts tell you not to. If you are uncomfortable with the situation for any reason, just let the fire department do their job.

The final rule is to always position yourself with an exit or means of escape at your back before you attempt to use an extinguisher to put out a fire. In case the extinguisher malfunctions, or something unexpected happens, you need to be able to get out quickly, and you don't want to become trapped. Just remember, always keep an exit at your back.

The "Halguard" extinguisher mentioned above at post #4 and the "Halotron" link on Ebay below are very good. Expensive, but way less messy to clean up.

Rick

I've added two 10# units, a 20#, a handheld AFFF, an large automatic AFFF unit mounted above the engine and a couple of automatic halon units in closed bays where electricals live. Not paranoid or anything, not me.

I've added two 10# units, a 20#, a handheld AFFF, an large automatic AFFF unit mounted above the engine and a couple of automatic halon units in closed bays where electricals live. Not paranoid or anything, not me.
I'd call that well prepared! I feel like a serous slacker, although my coach is much shorter than yours and no bays with a ton of electric....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back