• Commercial/Vendors welcome

First Time I Got Skunked

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Cellular sucks and I can't wait for Starphone.
That will suck too.

I have found that Starlink has become highly unusable in most areas. I am on the commercial plan now just to maintain a 10Mbs connection up/down and even that is highly problematic. Until the density issue is resolved, this will continue to be a problem.

I keep starlink for 2 remote areas that I visit frequently, that have 0 options otherwise for communication. Whats amazing about those locations is that I can get 200Mb + and maintain it, because there are fewer than 50 people within 50 miles. Its becoming much harder to find isolation like this, but I do enjoy it when I can get there.

I moved my Calyx SIM to my Pepwave BR1 5G and came right up without any problems. I check bands it was on band 41 for 5g and band 66 for LTE. I disabled both band 41 and 66 and I get no connection. I disabled all LTE bands except LTE 71 and still and enabled band 41 5G and still no connection. Seems that the only bands on T-Mobile that I can get to are bands 5G 41 and LTE 66. Verizon I was able to disable bands but didn't do any good.

The campgrouds WIFI has given me two day of streaming and NO buffering. I ask at the office if streaming is allowed and they everyone using campgournd WIFI since cell service is so bad and recommend that I do WIFI calling to get reliable phone service. As bad as i hate to see goverment stick thier nose in how business service thier customers I think it maybe need sometimes.

Neal, I'm waiting for your review of StarPhone. I watched several YouTube videos about the features but nothing being said about using it as a hotspot.

That will suck too.

I have found that Starlink has become highly unusable in most areas. I
I have talked to two Starlink users and both are saying they get around 5 on off-peak hours and zero during high-peak hours. I have Starlink on order with a 13-19 Jan ship date before I knew about the poor connections. Now I'm debating if I want to cancel or not.

I was just kidding regarding Starphone. I think much of this could be mitigated if campgrounds would offer ethernet ports at the pedestal and they would be smart to do so and sell the service like hotels. They also have to get beyond thinking 5 MB/s will suffice for 100 customers over Wi-Fi.

I know I know...I shouldn't be on Internet while RVing :(

I have Starlink on order with a 13-19 Jan ship date before I knew about the poor connections. Now I'm debating if I want to cancel or not.
It has been very good for me and preferred connection in several locations. I maintain that since getting my Pepwave in Nov of 2018 I have never been without connectivity, it's which is best at the location.

I have to remind myself, I really think Starlink is still a beta service. I don't think it's ready for production prime time worldwide use. I'm sure they needed to start generating revenue but the system still has a long way to go. I'm still a proponent of it and recommend it.

I think it's important for everyone to acknowledge that there are several "tiers" of Starlink service. I have residential Starlink at our home base in TX and rarely see any speed test less than 50 Mbps. Admittedly the maximum speeds have been reduced to <100 Mbps.

As, I think, everyone knows, Starlink for RV is the lowest tier of service and is always deprioritized compared to the residential plan. What seems ridiculous to me is that Starlink is charging $2500 for its "in motion" dish even though you are required to use the RV plan. You would have thought that the expensive dish would at least come with a "high priority" data plan?

After doing a bunch of switching between SIM A and SIM B there is a setting to "Both Sims". I know the BR1 Pro 5G only has one CAT 20 modem so what does the "Both SIMS" setting do?

Edit: I see it set up a fall over to the other SIM. I didn't notice the additional menus that appear when you select "Both SIMS".

Latest resources

Back