Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Garmin RV 890 setup for towed vehicle?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
TJ:
That's great info! ... And I think you almost answered my main question.
You said:

"If you are asking about the "up-ahead" sidebar, yes the RV 890 also has that capability. You just need to enable it in settings menu. With it enabled, you can display/hide route time and mileage, upcoming services and attractions and upcoming turn distances."

What I really want to know is, can that "up-ahead" sidebar display my next via point arrival time, and my destination arrival time,
RATHER THAN having that info display at the bottom of the screen. I really don't care about seeing the "upcoming services".

I already have the AC Adapter Cable Kit, as I use it for our RV760 (as well as our DriveSmart 61 which we use for the toad).
From your experience with "wireless updating", it sounds like that process is better served being hardwired.

Thanks for your insights, much appreciated!
LLOYD S
Lloyd,

The 890 ABSOLUTELY gives you the sidebar info you are looming for!

It’s called the TRIP DATA panel. And, you can customize every pane by tapping on it and selecting which data field you’d like to be displayed.

This panel will actually change, based upon whether you are actively navigating or not. So, you can have a set of fields relevant to just “driving” around vs. navigating somewhere.

Welcome back @CaptainGizmo seems like it’s been awhile. Thanks for your input as I remember correctly you beta tested.

Lloyd,

The 890 ABSOLUTELY gives you the sidebar info you are looming for!

It’s called the TRIP DATA panel. And, you can customize every pane by tapping on it and selecting which data field you’d like to be displayed.

This panel will actually change, based upon whether you are actively navigating or not. So, you can have a set of fields relevant to just “driving” around vs. navigating somewhere.
Thanks, @CaptainGizmo; you forced me to go back into the RV 890 and explore some more. I don't find the interface particularly intuitive, but when I finally figured out how to change the individual panes, I was amazed at the flexibility. I didn't realize I could change the bottom-row data panes as well as those in the Trip Data side window. Apparently, you can't change the top row in that side panel (Trip A and Trip B) but you can change the lower four panes. And, I couldn't find a way to change the "Upcoming Turns" and "Up Ahead" panels at all. Maybe I have missed something here.

I found this link useful in understanding how to customize the data panes.

Lots of flexibility and I have pretty much reconfigured the 890 screen to show what I want while navigating. Thanks for the info.

TJ

Yes, Jim...there ARE some panes and fields you can’t change. In case you haven’t found it out, though, you can’t assign a data field to another field of it’s already been assigned. Dumb, but you’ve gotta remove that assignment before assigning it to another location. ?‍♂️

Yep! Ran into that issue of not being able to assign data fields to more than one pane. In getting things organized on my screen, I initially assigned a bunch of data fields that I didn't want to use. That way, I could replace them without running into the duplicate fields.

TJ

Got mine today. Spent about about 15 minutes with it and love the simple, straight forward approach that I've become accustomed to with Garmin products of this kind. Leaving for Florida (again) in a couple of weeks and will enjoy using it.

OY VEY! Okay, ya'll are a bunch of troublemakers. So I upgraded from my 770 to the 890. Thank you very much. ? It has only taken me 2 days to install the updates. Who knew you had to turn OFF Bluetooth for the Wifi to have a data connection even though it was connected to my router. Aaaargh.

I've just started playing around with it, but I found it odd that when I searched truck stops, I got a different list (and a more complete list) than when I went to "truck stops" from the PlanRV Services menu. I love the big screen. ? I also like the new features of showing the elevation and mile markers on the bottom. I also find the "up ahead" feature on sidebar (when you are viewing map) It is much easier and safer than having to go to another menu to enable it like I had to do on my 770. Looking forward to hearing about everyone's "discoveries," hints, etc. Ohhhhh and anyone going down or up the Oregon Coast, I am most interested how the Garmin behaves when you get to that tunnel near Florence. ?

So I upgraded from my 770 to the 890.
It's cool, isn't it? My dogs like that it shows the next rest area on the screen. Now they just walk up to the front of the coach and see how far it is instead of constantly having to ask. ;)

It's cool, isn't it? My dogs like that it shows the next rest area on the screen. Now they just walk up to the front of the coach and see how far it is instead of constantly having to ask. ;)
Ok. Now I’m sold. This feature will keep my spousal unit happy too.

...anyone going down or up the Oregon Coast, I am most interested how the Garmin behaves when you get to that tunnel near Florence.
Ah yes, the one marked 11'6" right? I see a major reroute scenario being "suggested" by Garmin...in a loud, shrill voice! :oops: "STOP...STOP...TURN AROUND...GO BACK...GO BACK...I'M OUTA HERE!!!":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For those that haven't been through "Heartstop Tunnel," its not that big of a deal once you understand how to handle it. A local guy talked us through it the first time; just drive down the middle, straddling the centerline. Only the curved upper edges on each side are 11'6" and the center is about 14'. It is a relatively short tunnel, so you can see if there's a vehicle entering at the other end and the local folks :rolleyes: are good at checking before they enter. We followed right behind one...just in case.

TJ

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back