Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Garmin RV 890 setup for towed vehicle?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
LadyDi surprised me with a new Garmin RV 890 for my birthday. She's pretty special (LadyDi, not the Garmin)!

After charging it and updating the software and maps to the current version per the instructions, I started setting the RV 890 up with our RV parameters. When I got to the choice of vehicles, I had a choice of "motorhome" or "motorhome towing a trailer or boat." No "towing a car" option. Could Garmin really have been so dumb as to not include the towing a car option, or have I missed something? I can't find any way to change the "trailer" or "boat" to a car.

I can change the little icon on the map to a Class A motorhome (though not towing anything...and, I don't care about that), but not the setup parameters. And, I was able to set up the 2014 Honda CR-V towed vehicle as a "trailer" with the proper length, width and weight parameters. It just doesn't seem right that there would not be a towed car option when many, if not most, Class A coaches will be towing a car.

Otherwise, I'm impressed with the RV 890's brighter screen, expanded touch-screen options and the voice-activated features. Also impressed with the ease of editing a route. I'm sure it will take me some time to work my way through all the features.

TJ

Last edited:
Maybe Lady Di has a boat coming soon?

I have the same unit. Kudos to Lady Di on selecting a great gift. There is is no towed car opinion but your solution is a good one. I didn’t bother putting my tow car on as I focus more on height and narrow 2 lane roads that cross bridges and become one lane to cross.

I don't include the toad in my RV params, I don't think you're supposed to. You have a "hinge" point at the connect and if you include the toad you're going to restrict your route options for no need.

I don't include the toad in my RV params, I don't think you're supposed to. You have a "hinge" point at the connect and if you include the toad you're going to restrict your route options for no need.
Thanks, @Neal. I was wondering about that aspect. I think I will delete the trailer from the setup. What we are really concerned with is the height, width, length and weight of the coach anyway.

TJ

TJ, wish I had seen this before we talked a few days ago!

I was on the Beta team for the GARMIN 890 and I submitted that request on the very first day. I never got a reason for them not having a RV/TOAD setup. I went on to say that the majority of the RVs tow a TOAD, not a trailer.

I will reach out to them, again, to refresh this request.

In response to Neal’s point, in the “big” picture, he’s right...towing doesn’t make much difference in the RV world. Then again, neither would towing a trailer. The #1 issue on the RV setup, is weight restrictions. The second, is Propane.

TJ, wish I had seen this before we talked a few days ago!

I was on the Beta team for the GARMIN 890 and I submitted that request on the very first day. I never got a reason for them not having a RV/TOAD setup. I went on to say that the majority of the RVs tow a TOAD, not a trailer.

I will reach out to them, again, to refresh this request.

In response to Neal’s point, in the “big” picture, he’s right...towing doesn’t make much difference in the RV world. Then again, neither would towing a trailer. The #1 issue on the RV setup, is weight restrictions. The second, is Propane.
I guess it just struck me as odd that Garmin would design, produce and market a unit aimed (in large part) at motorhome owners without understanding what they tow. For every "trailer" towed by a motorhome, I would guess there are at least 50 automobiles. Seems to me that the software side of the house has a rather poor understanding of one of its primary market sectors. Makes you scratch your head in amazement.

In the long run, you're right; what you are towing makes relatively difference in the vehicle parameters. It's just a little frustrating to know that the designers knew so little about one of their primary market sectors.

Otherwise, there are a lot of features I like in the 890. The bigger, brighter screen is nice and it seems easier to see from an angle. The ease of modifying a route is nice as well. We'll know more when we take it on the road next week.

It was great to see you and sorry we weren't able to get together for a longer visit.

TJ

Last edited:
LadyDi surprised me with a new Garmin RV 890 for my birthday. S

TJ
All of my current GPS options, or the device that they run on, are outdated. How are you liking your new Garmin? I assume LadyDi does the navigating while you drive but is this unit easy to hear (and understand) while you are driving?

As a followup, what are your feelings on the Garmin 770 LMT?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back