• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Generator dies

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Also, assuming you confirm there's an important distinction which makes a charger different from the portable power source, then my next question would be: so, if I charge it for hours and hours to the point where it stores enough energy to run the fuel pump for a long time (thus proving your original theory), then surely my generator batteries will eventually drain once again which means I must repeat this lengthy charging task every so often.... and therefore I wonder what is the best permanent fix? Do I replace the batteries with brand new ones and they'll last for years without ever needing to charge, or is it normal to constantly charge ones batteries every couple weeks? (Or is this relation to your mention of 12V converter perhaps somehow not being connected when it should be? And, if so, then should the ultimate correct process be that the engine alternator runs energy to the converter which then runs it to the generator battery?)

I'd love to understand what's being said now, in the 'test this to see' phase, as well as understand the bigger, longer-term 'this is how things ought to work' setup. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Low engine oil precautionary shutoff?
I did check the oil prior to posting here just so I'd know what the story was. The level was at the low indicator, so I added more oil (recommended SAE 30) to eliminate any possibility of oil-related problem.

Also, I saw in the diagram there was a removable "air cleaner" (a filter), so I removed it to tap it clean (per instructions) and then placed it back.

I am replacing a carburetor on an onan soon. It will start and run but not stay running. Good fuel pressure and the filter is fine etc. The gas produced these days is certain death on them if not run minimum of every month and better every 2 weeks. If you don't use it the gas ruins the carbs.

Ok!
Yes! Using a battery charger takes the converter and any posable 12v device out of the equation. The charger will supply the fuel pump with enough power to run non stop. (Yes plugs into 110vac)

This is not a final solution, it is a troubleshooting tool. Do the jump start as you have been to get it started. If she keeps going, then find why you don't have a 12vdc supply. Much easier when the genny runs.

Latest resources

Back