Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Getting connected in LaPosa South, Quartzsite, Az. (Need help, please!!)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RoadkingCal

RVF Newbee
Hello!
We need some help with our cell/internet connectivity.
Here's the particulars:
Location-LaPosa South LTVA, Quartzsite,Az.
Distance to towers-5.5 miles for T-mobile, 6.2 miles for Visible.
Equipment-Weboost RV Destination Cell Booster, 2x Galaxy S20 FE 5g (T-Mobile) 1x Motorola G Pure (Visible)
Apps used-cellmapper.net, Cell Tower Locator, Meteor Speed test, Open Signal, Network Cell info,Compass app.
No obvious line-of-sight obstructions between antenna and cell towers.

So, we use the Cell Tower Locator to determine compass heading and distance to whichever tower we are currently connected to, and align the exterior Weboost antenna as best we can. The Weboost is not showing any oscillation, and has a lateral separation of about 20' from the internal antenna, 15' vertically.
Using Meteor and other speed tests, we sometimes get a return of ping@ 65, D/L @ 5 or 6 Mbps, and upload upwards of 20+ Mbps. Mostly, the signal is too low to be of any use.

Is there anything we may be overlooking for getting a better/ more reliable cell signal?

Wow. That’s a lot…too much goin on for you to get a connection.

Honestly, it’s a lot more simple. Get your iPhone or whatever phone out. Check the signal and band (5G, LTE, etc) on that device alone.

If you’ve already got a weak signal…nothing’s gonna help a lot.

Run Speedtest app and that’s it. If you can get over 6-10mpbs…you should be able to stream video just fine.

All those extra steps with weBOOST…and what not are…yuck…nothing but a hassle! Not a fan (nor expert), but when set up properly, a weBOOST is not supposed to require user interaction. That said, I’ve seen several installed incorrect as well as COMPLETELY misunderstood as to what that unit is supposed to do. I simply it by saying it’s like a vacuum cleaner to suck a signal in…but if it’s too weak, forget it. Garbage signals are just that…amplify them and you’ve just got bigger garage; can’t make chicken soup outta chicken poop!

The bad installs I’ve seen have the “passive antenna/pickup” mounted on a terrible location. My electronics/cellular engineer has proven those things CANNOT physically pickup a signal from a cellphone/hotspot beyond even a foot! So folks who think they can walk around their coach or be in the bedroom and have the weBOOST help are mistaking.

Hope this helped you somewhat.

Latest resources

Back