• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Clif001

RVF Regular
Hi all...

Quick (first) question.

Are there any "half-ton towable" fifth-wheels* that have a bath and a half? Both new (2022) and used within the last 8 years.

TIA

*Yes, I know you can't really tow most with your average half-ton pickup. 🙂

A half-ton likely doesn't have the cargo capacity to tow a 5th wheel.

A half-ton likely doesn't have the cargo capacity to tow a 5th wheel.
Yes, I understand that. In fact I mentioned that in my initial post. However they are *called* half-ton towable, which is what I'm looking for. The tow vehicle will be 3/4 ton or better, depending on the GVWR of the trailer I end up choosing.

Yes, I understand that. In fact I mentioned that in my initial post. However they are *called* half-ton towable, which is what I'm looking for. The tow vehicle will be 3/4 ton or better, depending on the GVWR of the trailer I end up choosing.
The GVWR rating of the trailer or the tow vehicle is not a concern or the concern. The cargo load weight of the tow vehicle is a major concern. Passenger weight, (400 lbs), gas/fuel weight (126 lbs), 5th wheel hitch weight (100 lbs), 5th wheel pin weight (1000 lbs), add camping stuff to the truck, plus a couple of kids (200 lbs), and you are well over 1800 lbs. Just do the math. So what is the cargo load weight rating of the tow vehicle? As I've said before, "it isn't what one can pull but what one can one stop". I've seen several rigs slide through an intersection when the opposing traffic ran a red light.

In our case, having a 4WD, we find that the same truck in a 2WD has a higher cargo load weight due to the fact the 4WD hardware adds 200 lbs. Thus the 2WD has a higher cargo load weight rating than a 4WD. All of these numbers are very important and are posted for a reason, other than Federal requirements.

My lord, I'm just looking for a fifth-wheel with a GVWR of about 10K to 14K that includes a bath and a half.

I know the math and have a half dozen apps to help me calculate the safe numbers. But you gotta start somewhere, so I'm trying to pick out a trailer first.

I don't have a tow vehicle yet and will match it once I choose the trailer.

Most half-ton towable are short and built with very light materials to keep the weight down. I won't own one for that reason. I have not seen one yet with bath and 1/2....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back