Handgun storage in your RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Great article.

Once I decided to get a CCW license I also decided to get Concealed Carry Insurance that provides an attorney among other benefits. Is it a waste of money? Probably because the odds of having to defend yourself is ridiculously high. However it does provide some cheap peace of mind knowing you can call a lawyer 24/7/365.

When I’m travelling in states that don’t recognize my CCW I keep the gun unloaded and stored in the RV.

While I agree, in theory, the problem is that if you have to use your firearm for self-defense, you are already in violation of the law. That means you will be arrested and charged. And, you will probably be convicted.

Aw heck, why not fan the flames...after all, I'm in SoCal and everything is burning, shaking, and will hopefully fall into the ocean soon anyways. LOL Maybe THEN, I'll get the message to move.

So TJ,

While I'm am NOWHERE NEAR being a lawyer, I have enough LEO friends who provide me with understanding and "gut instinct". So, when I read what you say here, my gut says..."HUH?"

I did a couple fact checks to see if I was missing something. Again, I'm in Kalifornia...but we do have a "stand your ground" and the fact is, as I understand, IF SHOOTING IN SELF-DEFENSE FROM DEADLY FORCE, then you are NOT in violation of the law, NOT subject to arrest, conviction, and jail time.

I hope someone will tell me I am 100% correct. I will reach out to my experts.

Aw heck, why not fan the flames...after all, I'm in SoCal and everything is burning, shaking, and will hopefully fall into the ocean soon anyways. LOL Maybe THEN, I'll get the message to move.

So TJ,

While I'm am NOWHERE NEAR being a lawyer, I have enough LEO friends who provide me with understanding and "gut instinct". So, when I read what you say here, my gut says..."HUH?"

I did a couple fact checks to see if I was missing something. Again, I'm in Kalifornia...but we do have a "stand your ground" and the fact is, as I understand, IF SHOOTING IN SELF-DEFENSE FROM DEADLY FORCE, then you are NOT in violation of the law, NOT subject to arrest, conviction, and jail time.

I hope someone will tell me I am 100% correct. I will reach out to my experts.
If you check the context of my comment, you will find that it was made in response to a comment that suggested (at least to me) that restrictive firearm storage requirements would be ignored if self-defense was necessary. My point was that while I agree that such restrictions are cumbersome, ignoring them also brings with it the possibility of prosecution.

Now, I know that if faced with the choice of defending myself or adhering to cumbersome restrictions that would prevent me from doing so, I would make choice #1. That said, I would also know that my life could become very difficult in that particular environment. The eventual outcome would likely depend on the common sense of a judge and/or jury; something that is not assured these days.

TJ

If you check the context of my comment, you will find that it was made in response to a comment that suggested (at least to me) that restrictive firearm storage requirements would be ignored if self-defense was necessary. My point was that while I agree that such restrictions are cumbersome, ignoring them also brings with it the possibility of prosecution.

Now, I know that if faced with the choice of defending myself or adhering to cumbersome restrictions that would prevent me from doing so, I would make choice #1. That said, I would also know that my life could become very difficult in that particular environment. The eventual outcome would likely depend on the common sense of a judge and/or jury; something that is not assured these days.

TJ
Gotcha TJ...same team. ? I read your comment as to say “if you’ve used your gun in self defense, you’ve already broken the law and will be convicted.”

Here is another great reference to have on hand:

Here is a pistol mount/storage device that might be useful. Typically I do not load a round in the chamber of a Striker style pistol until it will be used. Some folks disagree with that approach, my choice.
This magnetic mount allows for a quick, single handed, movement when retrieving the pistol from the mount to charge the weapon (load a round in the chamber). Simple and quick. There are several brands on the market.

Amazon.com: GMW Gun Magnet, 43 lbs. Rating Quickdraw Fast Loader Holster, Cavalry Series Magnetic Gun Mount for Car, Truck, Desk, and Wall: Sports & Outdoors

And another brand with a video to show the charging movement.

Last edited:
Joe, that mount allows you to have empty chamber. it is designed, so you can just push forward and feed a round before getting it out of the mount. No need for two hands. Very well thought out.

Once I decided to get a CCW license I also decided to get Concealed Carry Insurance that provides an attorney among other benefits. Is it a waste of money? Probably because the odds of having to defend yourself is ridiculously high. However it does provide some cheap peace of mind knowing you can call a lawyer 24/7/365.

When I’m travelling in states that don’t recognize my CCW I keep the gun unloaded and stored in the RV.
Do you mean ridiculously low?

This was the topic of a lengthy conversation with a bunch of (off duty) game wardens in south Texas on a BBQ/beer night. The conclusions:
  1. If it's rolling, it's a vehicle.
  2. If it's parked, it's a house.
  3. Motorhomes are generally too difficult to stop for minor stuff (safe place to pull over, can be dangerous to get the driver's attention, etc).
  4. Open bottle of wine in the refrigerator - who really cares, can't reach it from the driver seat.
  5. One person advocated that if the driver didn't have a gun, to issue one.
Except for the tornados and heat I love Texas.:cool:

Latest resources

Back