Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Has anyone removed a residential fridge and installed a propane RV fridge?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

VancouverBC

RVF Newbee
Hi,
Every unit I look at now has a residential fridge. For the way I plan on using my unit I would be better served by a propane fridge. Have found lots of references for people wanting to do the opposite switch. Has anyone gone to a RV propane fridge in their Newmar that came with a residential fridge? There is propane to the stove which is also in the slide so it shouldn't be difficult to hook up propane. Are the openings the same for either when they are manufactured? Or are they built with different dimensions. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I have not heard of anyone doing this reverse switch, but I would imagine it would be a pricey conversion.

I would also be interested in why you want to do this and what advantages there would be. The only one I can think of is that you can run longer off grid…. But it may be cheaper/easier to get lithium batteries and/or solar and accomplish the same thing.

I can see it as entirely possible. Mine even has the gas line for a propane fridge, more or less abandoned under the slide next to the Oasis - about 6’ of rubber line capped off with a brass cap, that would have served a propane fridge, but mine was ordered with a resi-fridge. So from that perspective it would be easy. Inside would be a different story. I can see how the cabinetry was modified to accommodate the bigger fridge but going the other way would leave a gap that you’d want to fill somehow, hopefully in a manner that looked more or less original.

Also the only way I can see getting the old fridge out would be through the windshield, or maybe removing a slide. Certainly wont go through the door.

Looks like we lost the OP…

Be interested in hearing why the reversal. It can be done most likely pricey. I did the opposite as you mentioned. We boondock and have not had issues with it at all. WE can run off grid for 14 hours before we have to start up generator. We do not have any solar at this time. while off grid we run two resi fridges a 24 cubic foot (CF) Kenmore Elite with water and ice in the kitchen and a 2 CF in the basement along with 12 volt lighting and tv as well as my CPAP. With just the fridges running and inverter draw I show 1-2 amp total draw. We have (4) AGM 6 volt 240 amp hour (AH) V-Max batteries.

Latest resources

Back