• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question House batteries

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Lithium are typically rated between 2000, and 4000 cycles. This is where things can be confusing!!! A cycle on a Lithium is based on a different concept. Although discharging one shouldn't discharge more than 80% the cycle is based on using 100% of the capacity! To clarify, if you bring a fully charged battery down to 50% twice that would be a cycle! Put another way using a 100 ah battery as an example and a 2000 cycle life battery your battery in theory would supply 200000amp hours before it would need replacement.
And on top of that, after those 2000-4000 cycles the batteries are not dead or near dying, they just only hold about 80% of their former charge so a 100Ah battery is now an 80Ah battery, which is still better than a 0Ah brick... ;)

I think even without solar, Lithium Iron Phosphates are great for practically doubling your capacity for almost half the weight. Throw in there they recharge so much quicker, can handle higher loads, you don't brick them by going under 50%, and lasts so much longer before needing replacement -- the question then becomes do you want to spend that much more $ for all those upsides?

Best,
-Mark

And on top of that, after those 2000-4000 cycles the batteries are not dead or near dying, they just only hold about 80% of their former charge so a 100Ah battery is now an 80Ah battery, which is still better than a 0Ah brick... ;)

I think even without solar, Lithium Iron Phosphates are great for practically doubling your capacity for almost half the weight. Throw in there they recharge so much quicker, can handle higher loads, you don't brick them by going under 50%, and lasts so much longer before needing replacement -- the question then becomes do you want to spend that much more $ for all those upsides?

Best,
-Mark
I have to agree... I really like my Lithiums, which I have had since 2022. Another nice thing is they do not off-gas like lead acid. The LAs were rusting out the battery compartment.

Ok, so if I go with lithium, can I retain the Magnum inverter and panel? Also, what brand(s) of battery should I look at/ avoid?

If you must! Do what Neal did and pay a pro to do the job!

Check with your insurance provider to get a quote with vs. Without lithium!!!

Ok, so if I go with lithium, can I retain the Magnum inverter and panel? Also, what brand(s) of battery should I look at/ avoid?
I like my Battleborns, but there are several good brands now…

I like my Battleborns, but there are several good brands now…
Oh. And you are able to use your Magnum with custom settings…

Sorry, but cannot speak to Magnum inverters. As for batteries I've owned both BattleBorn and Lithionics. The BattleBorns were akin to drop-in replacements with each battery having its own internal BMS. I was able to do my house battery replacement myself as it was very straightforward. The Lithionics are built like M1 Abram tanks and have an external BMS, but they are super $$$$$ and, with Winnebego owning them, options are very limited as to your dealer and service options. I love my factory Lithionics that came in my New Aire, but if I was building from scratch I would instead spend my $ on cheaper alternatives given the crazy $$$.

There are many challengers to BattleBorn at cheaper price points, but in many cases you get what you pay for in terms of internal components, robustness, quality, service, and warranty IMHO. There is a YouTuber (https://www.youtube.com/@WillProwse) who tears into LiFePO4 batteries as he reviews them. Here is the link to his tear down of BattleBorn: . Only really interesting when compared to his tear down of others you may be looking at.

Best,
-Mark

I believe they will work with Magnum. I still have the little Xantrex 2000.I am looking at getting a Magnum or Victron inverter, so Ican run a/c on batteries, and so ags can be controlled by demand.

Latest resources

Back