• Commercial/Vendors welcome

How do you choose a campsite?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

When selecting where to camp, what criteria are most important to you?

• Total voters

RVCamp Owner

RVF Newbee
Fulltimer
Yes
I’m trying to learn how other people choose where to stay in their RV among the thousands of potential options. If there was a website or app that could help you select a site that had exactly what you wanted, what other selection criteria would you add?

Are you a campground owner? If so, which one?

I haven’t called it anything yet. I bought a 50+ acre plot of flat, wooded land outside of Nashville and am boondocking for now. I plan to build out an RV camp to help pay the bills and serve eventually as a “home base” where I live and manage the camp but can leave from time to time to travel elsewhere. A way to help pay for the lifestyle. I know what I like, but I want to know what others are looking for so I can make my site a destination people want to come to. If I’m going to do it, I want to do it right!

I haven’t called it anything yet. I bought a 50+ acre plot of flat, wooded land outside of Nashville and am boondocking for now. I plan to build out an RV camp to help pay the bills and serve eventually as a “home base” where I live and manage the camp but can leave from time to time to travel elsewhere. A way to help pay for the lifestyle. I know what I like, but I want to know what others are looking for so I can make my site a destination people want to come to. If I’m going to do it, I want to do it right!

When the time comes I welcome you to join as a Commercial member as other campgrounds owners have done and you're welcome to continue to share the path ahead to building out your dream campground. For details visit the link below. To upgrade your account to Commercial membership when ready click here.

I consider level #1. Many only want pull through sites.

Consider that my opinion will not effect your end game, as I stay off grid, so would never take advantage of what you put together!!!😲

You left out "Pet Friendly". And that description doesn't mean a park only accepts pets under 2lbs. I have a 40lb rescued Spanish Greyhound (Galgo). If she's not welcome, then I don't stay.

I don't stay at "Adult" parks.

I don't stay at parks that refuse entrance to RVs that are over 10yo or have an RV age rule.

I don't stay at Class A only parks or most of what people call "resorts".

And I don't pay a lot of money to stay in a park. I'm self contained and don't need a bathhouse nor do I need a clubhouse, playground, swimming pool, etc.

The only "membership" I use is Passport America. I really don't care about Good Sam or AAA or any of the others. I remember when you could buy a favourable rating from some of Woodall's Campground Directory "inspectors" and the young family who were so shocked when they were informed by the Woodall's inspector that if they wanted a good rating, it would cost them. I haven't trusted a "rating" since. I really don't even trust opinion reviews. I've been in too many parks that the reviews do not match the park.

This means that there are a lot of parks that I would not stay in. But there are a lot of parks out there to stay at. No park suits everyone. And I have criteria that is different from the typical "RVer". But then I don't consider myself an "RVer". I'm likely not your target customer.

I travel mostly on US Highways and try to avoid the Interstate Highways. I look for parks near to where I am going (rvparky). I check them out online with campendium/rvparky reviews plus their websites (I hate the Facebook only places). If I can't find their rates, park rules and policies online or they don't meet my personal criteria, they get ignored. I build/maintain my own personal POI campground file for Google My Maps. That is what I use to plan my routes.

Here's a picture of what I don't want! Also don't need bathrooms. showers, play grounds, pools or clubhouses, activities, wi-fi or fire pits. Just a reasonably priced, level (within +/- 2°) 50 amp site with access to water, a dump station and a small patch on the patio side where we can sit and enjoy a glass of wine without having to look at nor smell the neighbors sewer. Actually, don't really need electric, water or sewer as long as I can fill & dump as needed.

Attachments

• Close.jpg
    Close.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Clean bathrooms, weekly and monthly discounts, grocery store, restaurants within easy bicycle range, level site, camp store, wi-fi, decent cell phone service, big rig friendly.

Usually check campgroundreviews.com

Latest resources

Back