Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
2922800D-9B12-4FFB-AADE-E9B434C94789.jpeg

On my coach I have a hard wired system but also use a dongle surge protector. My thinking is that if there is a surge that takes out the dongle protection on the RV, there is still protection until I replace the dongle. Typically two days by mail.
Also, replacing the dongle is a whole lot easier than installation of a New Hard wired unit.
is this being too over the top?

Yes, I use the Hughes Watchdog. It also checks the circuit for errors and will not pass power to the coach, if it detects a problem. It also shuts power off to the coach when a problem develops.I highly recommend an external EMS. And, as you point out, it is much easier to replace if it gets fried.

We use that same Hughes Watchdog EPO model. With the Bluetooth it is easy on the phone to check to see current usage and total energy consumed since “reset”. Cool to be able to know how much elec we are using and be able to estimate what our elec bill will be too.

I also have the watchdog EPO. For around $50 I also got a spare surge protection board so if a surge hits in a 1/2 hr I can have full protection again.

Another watchdog user. Love it. IIRC, Newmar’s transfer switch also has surge protection as well.

Here is how I just installed my Progressive Industries 50-amp surge protector. I just hardwired it in ahead of the unit that came with the coach. So, in practical terms the Progressive unit tests everything and if good sends power to the factor installed unit and then it checks it again and if good sends power on to the coach. A little overkill but I have always had a Progressive Industries unit on my coaches and have had very good luck. This is the 1st coach that has come with a factory installed unit, but I still wanted the Progressive unit to be on the front line.

FLSteve

Progressive Industries 1.jpg
Progressive Industries 2.jpg

I have a Progressive Industries unit installed and another PI unit at the power post. PI also makes a circuit checker that gives a warm, fuzzy sense of security before plugging in.

Same here. Put a watchdog at the pole and one hardwired after the shore power circuit breaker in the bay.

Latest resources

Back