• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question How Often To Sanitize?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
mike n sue, all you would need to do is pour the sanitizing agent into your fill hose prior to filling the tank.

Or, if you have a water filter, remove the element and put the solution in the canister and re-install. When done, replace the filter element.

TJ

I'm not sure I'm on board with the simple use of a water pump to drain and refill a fresh water tank satisfies sanitizing. "Stuff" can grow and build up and adding new water doesn't mean the tank is clean. I need to learn how to use the stuff I bought and do it annually if not semi-annually depending on usage. Would you reuse the same pitcher in your fridge for years without ever washing it?

I believe he is saying he refills his FW tank and uses the pump at all times, rather than turning off the pump and using city pressure. I do pretty much the same as well.
No, I was wondering where he gets the water to ‘refill” it. I suppose he refills tank and assumes that the water source he’s refilling from is safe, and it probably is. We drink only bottled water when traveling - planning to get a purifier like a Berkey.

I'm not sure I'm on board with the simple use of a water pump to drain and refill a fresh water tank satisfies sanitizing. "Stuff" can grow and build up and adding new water doesn't mean the tank is clean. I need to learn how to use the stuff I bought and do it annually if not semi-annually depending on usage. Would you reuse the same pitcher in your fridge for years without ever washing it?
The sanitizing procedure we use does clean the tank and all water lines, @Neal. Following the directions that come with the sanitizer/cleaner, we fill the water tank with the cleaner solution, pump water through all coach faucets, toilets, washer and ice-maker, let it sit for the recommended period of time, then drain/flush and repeat the cycle with the sanitizer. Finally, we do two fresh water purges to remove any residual, and then refill the fresh water tank.

It takes a half day to accomplish this, but we like to know that we've properly sanitized our system. And, the time between cycles is used for other coach maintenance.

And, my earlier point about not using "potable" water from taps adjacent to dump stations is simply that there is a much higher likelihood of contamination. Those in RV parks, for instance, are usually required to have periodic testing to satisfy the local health authorities. Can they also be contaminated? Of course, but it is far less likely than those next to the dump station. And, that's why we sanitize any water spigot before we use it.

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi - looks like that kit is for about 100 gals. We have a 105 gal FW tank so it should be fine. Do you have to use 2 kits?

We don't let water sit in the tank, it's drained every time we get home.

We sanitize usually once a year. RV Geeks has a very good You Tube video on it.

Well here is a video regarding sanitizing fresh water tank. Typically we do this, as others have stated, at least once a quarter or if the tank has been unused "for a while". Also we do not drink the fresh water from the fresh water tank but do cook with it.

We sanitize in the spring, before leaving Florida for our annual trip.

Latest resources

Back