• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Hughes Autoformer install?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Most of thermal shut down schemes can produce sizable spikes. So that can be troublesome, would have to know what they use if that is the case. I would say a zero crossing circuit would have to be used to avoid any problems, I'm wondering if they would disclose!
I doubt it. You have to read between the lines as it is. It‘s almost seems as if there are a few things they’d rather not say.

I was just thinking about this some more. Two A/C units will fry the ends on 30 amp connection, do you believe you would know you had a sag in power? If you're system won't see that sag it wouldn't assist with the inverter or generator. It would negate the RV system completely, right?

A reason to make the Autoformer installation modular. The Electrical code in 2020 now allows campgrounds to ban the use of Autoformers. Granted if the Autoformer is installed inside the RV no one would be the wiser, However, I like to follow the rules and respect the campground wishes so I can easily disconnect (unplug) the Autoformer should it be necessary.

Discussion of the Code restrictions:

I've yet to mount mine in a bay, but it's on my list for the next month or so (just about eight weeks out from Cervical fusion, so not quite ready to deal with the weight of the Hughes device.

However, another big reason for mounting it with the pigtail kit you can get from them (or something similar) is component failure.

My plan is to have a pigtail coming out of my on board transfer switch/surge protector combo with a mail 50 amp end. Then, wire my cord reel so I have the female 50 amp plug mounted in the bay.

With that, all kinds of combos are possible. If the cord reel fails, simply plug the transfer switch into my 50 amp extension cord and plug into park service. In the bay, I can hook up autoformer and second surge protector/low voltage cutoff (power watch dog, mounted after autoformer) or any other combo.

I definitely think it's worth the slightly extra work to setup your bay where no one failure (other than transfer switch of course) will require more than moving some plugs around.

Latest resources

Back