Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Looking at the Hughes Autoformer with a Surge protector incorporated into unit. For those with the Unit, does in make sense to hard wire this into the RV in place of the optional factory surge protector?

The Autoformer has a replaceable surge protector module, and consequently we would carry a spare Module, just in case.

In that way there would not be the worry of having a very expensive Unit sitting unprotected, plugged into the Shore power.

Thoughts..

Be aware that there are RV parks out there that prohibit the use of autoformers - if it's permanently installed in your RV then they have no way of knowing if you're using one.

So far in my travels since 2017 I haven't experienced any rules regarding autoformers. I internally mounted mine and it's always inline. At times I bypassed it but it was never the cause of the issue. My philosophy is you won't know when you need it, or when you do it's too late (brown out has occurred). I shorted out my first one from a storm I didn't know was coming and it was submerged in a puddle as the pedestal was a low point sadly. It's nice to just get it done, installed, and out of the way and let it do its thing. I have had a campground or two that has had high voltage and when your ATS sees 130V I think it is then it will shutdown your incoming power. That is probably the more likely concern. I recommend it and recommend internally mounting it if you can.

Rain cover if needed:

Personally, if I were going to do an interior one I’d wire it before the one the coach already has.

Protect the original and technically would have two just in case.

So does anyone know if this is an auto transformer, an isolation transformer, or a boost converter of some kind.

Looks like it is a voltage booster when incoming is low. Would help protect things if voltage dipped a bit.

One thing I noted, at least in the description on Amazon, was no mention of turning off power if voltage gets too low, high, open ground, etc.

There will be a limit where it can’t boost any further and it would appear you could have a brown out like power coming into the coach.

I’d see if they have one that also cuts power on issues along with boosting if it just drops a bit.

Dennis, I already went searching for information. It looks like a non-isolating transformer. That is what an auto transformer is. A isolated transformer would be much larger.

So what I am seeing is a buck transformer that may have a scheme to gradually boost voltage automatically.

So to give an informed opinion I would need that information and I couldn't find it. So if someone wants to test continuity between the in and out leads we would know if it is isolated.

The reason this is important is things that offer spikes, typically the spike is stopped by transformers. This is not true with an auto transformer.

So now you have my reasoning, but not my opinion!!!

My system is totally isolated from shore power. This is done by powering everything via inverter, even if I am hooked up to the grid. I only charge batteries with the grid, when I need to.

Looks like it is a voltage booster when incoming is low. Would help protect things if voltage dipped a bit.

One thing I noted, at least in the description on Amazon, was no mention of turning off power if voltage gets too low, high, open ground, etc.

There will be a limit where it can’t boost any further and it would appear you could have a brown out like power coming into the coach.

I’d see if they have one that also cuts power on issues along with boosting if it just drops a bit.
That is what an EMS does. Hughes has the Watchdog, which allows you to also monitor your amp draw on each line via bluetooth.

That is what an EMS does. Hughes has the Watchdog, which allows you to also monitor your amp draw on each line via bluetooth.
Yeah, I have the watchdog with the auto power off instead of just the surge protector version.

Latest resources

Back