• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Hughes Autoformer install?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I’ve committed to the modular design the RVGEEKS used. I like that each piece can be isolated individually by just unplugging it. Additionally I purchased spare surge protection modules to avoid on road “emergencies “ . Thank you all for your thoughts!

Your inverter probably already performs the function (load support) of an autoformer. If so a basic surge protector is all you need.

Hughes Autoformers will boost the incoming voltage 10% if needed. They offer different products so it is important to choose the right one for your needs. Here is the overview of the Autoformer:

That’s also what load support does from the inverter depending on the model. Provides extra power during low voltage conditions. I don’t know what inverter is in a 2023 Dutch Star, but its current technology with Magnum and Victrom.

Magnum: “MSH models add a Load Support feature. Load Support allows incoming AC to synchronize with the inverter’s output and uses additional power from the batteries to power loads.”

Victron: Power Assist: “the bidirectional converter of the MultiPlus operates in parallel with the AC input and will add current (with energy from the battery) whenever demand exceeds the capacity of the supply.”

Something to check before buying an autoformer, especially for newer coaches.

While I'm not smart on that my only thought of is the power coming into the ATS switch. If it's not within params it can shutoff and I think the goal is getting good power, i.e. brown out conditions handled, before the ATS to prevent a disconnect and subsequent AGS start for those with that available and configured.

We had upgraded to a 3000W Hybrid Magnum Inverter in the last RV. The Magnum Hybrid Inverter (MSH) does have Load Support.
The lesser Magnum models do not appear to have Load Support.

Here is the User manual Language regarding Load Support

3.2.3 Load Support While in the Standby Mode and the charger is enabled, the MSH3012RV inverter/charger has the ability to work in parallel with the incoming AC source (utility or generator power) to power the AC loads using current from the batteries. During the Standby mode, the current and voltage from the AC source and the current used by the AC load are continually monitored. When loads on the inverter output exceed the maximum available current from incoming AC source, the Load Support feature is automatically activated. The Load Support feature causes the MSH3012RV inverter/charger to reduce/stop the battery charging operation and begin using current from the batteries along with the maximum available current from the AC source to ensure the AC loads are powered. The Load Support feature turns off once the load demand decreases and there is suffi cient current from the incoming AC source; when this happens, the battery charger is again activated and begins charging the batteries. For the Load Support feature to automatically function, the following needs to occur: 1. An AC source (utility power/AC generator) must be connected. 2. The inverter must be enabled (INV LED is on). 3. The battery voltage must be ≥0.5 volts above the LBCO setting (10 VDC default). Info: If using a remote that is able to show the load support status and the unit is in load support, the status will indicate either “Load Support AAC” or “Load Support VDC”. Info: The load support feature of the MSH3012RV can provide 60 amps on its AC output. For example, if the input AC source is 40 amps, load support can add up to 20 amps; if the input is 50 amps, load support can add up to 10 amps of additional current. Info: The load support feature is monitored thru the AC HOT 1 IN terminal. When the AC HOT 1 IN is the only input connected to the incoming AC source, then load support is provided to the loads connected to both the AC HOT 1 OUT and AC HOT 2 OUT terminals However, if the AC source is connected to both the AC HOT 1 IN and the AC HOT 2 IN terminals [from either a split-phase (120/240VAC) or three-phase (120/208VAC) source], the Load Support feature is only provided and supports the loads connected to the HOT 1 OUT output. In this instance, the AC HOT 2 OUT output is only pass-thru power coming from the AC HOT 2 IN terminal Info: The input amps (or shore amps) setting on the remote control should be set ≥5 AAC for the load support feature to limit and support the incoming amperage correctly. There are two modes of operation within Load Support. • Load Support AAC – In this mode, the AC loads connected to the inverter output are requiring more power than the incoming AC source can provide on its own. The inverter pulls the additional current—that is needed for the loads—from the inverter batteries to keep the incoming AC current from exceeding the input amps setting on the remote control. Info: In Load Support AAC, even though the LED indicators may indicate charging, the inverter/charger may not be putting current into the battery. If using a remote, the Inverter/Charger Amps AC meter indicates the load support process by displaying negative current fl owing from the batteries to the loads. The input amps AC value will also drop during this process, while the load amps AC value remains the same. • Load Support VDC – In this mode, an external DC source (i.e., alternator, solar, etc.,) is causing the battery bank voltage to rise above the temperature-compensated battery voltage setting on the remote control. If this happens, the inverter/charger will reduce the incoming AC current and use current from the batteries to support the inverter load. Info: The charger must be enabled (not in ‘Charger Standby’) and in the Absorb or Float charge mode (with at least a 6-amp inverter load) for the Load Support VDC feature to be active. Note: Load Support VDC is not active in either the Bulk or EQ charge modes.

While I'm not smart on that my only thought of is the power coming into the ATS switch. If it's not within params it can shutoff and I think the goal is getting good power, i.e. brown out conditions handled, before the ATS to prevent a disconnect and subsequent AGS start for those with that available and configured.
I’m not either and I don't think it was available when our coaches were built, but since its available now, I would check on a new coach before buying an autoformer.

@Joe Goodxrvn after FPU you should take your coach over to Solar Energy Systems in Nappanee and let them give you a little electrical makeover :)

I checked the Inverter that is installed in the DCDP on the spec sheet. It is a 2800W inverter. The spec sheet did not specify brand. However, the 2800w Pure Sine Magnum does not offer Load Support. I will check once the DSDP is built to see which inverter brand Newmar installed.

If its 2800 its Magnum. They put Victron 3kw inverters in a few of them in 2022 but that might have just been a supply chain thing,

Latest resources

Back