Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

I need your "getting booted from illegal parking areas" stories!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I remember war coverage during the first and 2nd gulf war. In my mind, it changed drastically between then. There was a brief period of unity during 9/11, and then it seemed to go downhill from there.

Fox news was originally created for political reasons (or supposedly to be non political). Local news weather-gasms have been getting more dramatic. Texas can't have a rain storm without our local weather guy getting hot and bothered and jumping all around about how many deaths we can expect, how much property damage.

I personally cannot stand any media outlet, and as a consequence don't have a clue as to what is happening in this world.

I will toss out a guess for you then. Most of the time when an RVer gets booted for trying to dry camp where it is prohibited is when they pull into a Walmart or similar business to sleep and there is a local ordinance against it.

Many second shift officers (3-11pm) are busier than their relief officers (11p-7am), so this "improper" parking may go unnoticed until after 11pm. If the officer knocks on the RVers door at midnight or 1am I would suspect he/she would simply tell them that there is no RV overnight parking allowed and they have to leave. As long as the RVer is compliant and makes an effort to move along I am guessing in 90% of the cases that would be the end of it. However, if the RVer decides he wants to verbally debate the issue or possibly refuse to move along then I am guessing a citation and possibly even a tow truck could be in his/her future.

I'm wondering if you post your question on some other RV sites if you won't actually find some folks this has happened to?
Thanks for the guess. I hadn't considered the reality/threat of getting towed, so that's helpful. I appreciate your insight!

This makes a lot of sense. I have pulled into a Walmart late (after midnight), and was followed in by an officer. I got out to talk to him, and he said that although "legal", he would strong advise against parking there. He cited some very recent gang related activity and that they were stretched far to thin to patrol that area. He suggested that I follow him to the city maintenance yard, and found me a great spot tucked alongside the maintenance building.

He did warn me that they start work early (6am), but that I could easily stay there until 8am. The nice thing about parking there, this is where the police cars refueled, so there was plenty of police presence, and I was legally parked. One of the best on the road sleeps I have had.
This a great story and super helpful! Thanks for sharing it!

I pulled into a Walmart in Pagosa Springs around midnight. There were 2 or 3 others rvs in the parking lot. Officer came to the door knocked and said sorry but the owners of this property (not owned by Walmart) don't allow overnight parking. I explained I just needed a nap and to get off the mountain roads until sun up. I asked if he could recommend a park or rest area I could stay at. He said nothing that he knew of. I thanked him and asked if I could have 15 or 20 minutes to get ready to go. He said sure take your time. Then he looked at me and said I wouldn't want to drive these hills at night either. If you would like you can pull out of the drive directly in front of you and park on the street. There is nothing in the city ordinance that prohibits you from parking on the street and if anyone says anything to you here is my card have them call me. Oh and you can put your curb side slide out over the grass as long as it doesn't over hang the side walk. Stay as long as you like I will drive by and check on you during my shift. I moved 50 feet and slept for a few hrs. and back on the road. Pays to be nice thanks officer Mike

I pulled into a Walmart in Pagosa Springs around midnight. There were 2 or 3 others rvs in the parking lot. Officer came to the door knocked and said sorry but the owners of this property (not owned by Walmart) don't allow overnight parking. I explained I just needed a nap and to get off the mountain roads until sun up. I asked if he could recommend a park or rest area I could stay at. He said nothing that he knew of. I thanked him and asked if I could have 15 or 20 minutes to get ready to go. He said sure take your time. Then he looked at me and said I wouldn't want to drive these hills at night either. If you would like you can pull out of the drive directly in front of you and park on the street. There is nothing in the city ordinance that prohibits you from parking on the street and if anyone says anything to you here is my card have them call me. Oh and you can put your curb side slide out over the grass as long as it doesn't over hang the side walk. Stay as long as you like I will drive by and check on you during my shift. I moved 50 feet and slept for a few hrs. and back on the road. Pays to be nice thanks officer Mike
Thanks for sharing this! Exactly the kind of story I was hoping to hear.

It all depends on the way the person reacts to being told he/she can’t stay the night. Usually it starts with a knock on the door or window of the vehicle and a request to step outside. Any officer will want to see the person’s hands in case they might hold a weapon. The officer will also ask if there’s anyone else inside and may even call out for anyone else to exit the vehicle. When the officer determines how many people he/she is dealing with and that there isn’t an immediate safety threat, they will inform the person that a local ordinance or law prohibits overnight stays in that location.

If the response is “OK, I understand and I’ll move on,” the officer may well suggest an area where the person can spend the night. If it is a confrontational response, then there are several possible outcomes, including being arrested and taken to jail. Most police officers will take the path of least resistance. If you cooperate, things will go well.

TJ

It all depends on the way the person reacts to being told he/she can’t stay the night. Usually it starts with a knock on the door or window of the vehicle and a request to step outside. Any officer will want to see the person’s hands in case they might hold a weapon. The officer will also ask if there’s anyone else inside and may even call out for anyone else to exit the vehicle. When the officer determines how many people he/she is dealing with and that there isn’t an immediate safety threat, they will inform the person that a local ordinance or law prohibits overnight stays in that location.

If the response is “OK, I understand and I’ll move on,” the officer may well suggest an area where the person can spend the night. If it is a confrontational response, then there are several possible outcomes, including being arrested and taken to jail. Most police officers will take the path of least resistance. If you cooperate, things will go well.

TJ
Great reply. Thank you! I wouldn't have considered how the officer would need to clear the vehicle and would be wary of possible weapons. Good insight for me to know!

I remember war coverage during the first and 2nd gulf war. In my mind, it changed drastically between then. There was a brief period of unity during 9/11, and then it seemed to go downhill from there.

Fox news was originally created for political reasons (or supposedly to be non political). Local news weather-gasms have been getting more dramatic. Texas can't have a rain storm without our local weather guy getting hot and bothered and jumping all around about how many deaths we can expect, how much property damage.

I personally cannot stand any media outlet, and as a consequence don't have a clue as to what is happening in this wo
I'm with you! I've quit watching the news on TV. They can no longer be tructed to just report the news. Nowadays they are MAKING the news instead of reporting it. It's disgusting.

Wellllll I was coming back from a two week trip somewhere and I was really tired. We pulled into a Flying J or a Pilot in Harrisburg PA. I don't remember what one. My wife went inside and asked if we could park for the night. The manager at that time said sure, just leave your coach right where it's at. I was parked next to the grass but going sideways against the parking spaces. Of the approximately 25 spots available no one else was to be found. We had a nice dinner and a couple glasses of wine then hit the sack. I only had my bedroom slide out and no jacks down.

At about 2:00 AM in the morning I hear this banging on the door. I look out the window and some guy is there banging on the door. I finally shake the sleep out of my head and answer the door. He says in not so pleasant terms you have to move your coach. I said huh????? We have permission from the manager. He says just move it. Well my wife gets dressed and goes to talk to the manager on duty. She comes back and says we can srtay, all we have to do is pull the coach in the lines. Well when I looked every spot in the parking lot was filled with Trucks and RVs. And here I was taking up three spots parked length wise. I really couldn't be pissed. I should have parked my coach correctly the first time. Dummy me I took the manager at her word and left my coach right where it was at.... lessons learned.

H.H.

Last edited:
IF you are still looking for stories I would suggest you go to OvernightRVParking by TOGO RV. That is what they specialize in and I am sure there are plenty of stories.

They have an app and a website. Webmaster has been fast to get back to me in the past

Johnnie :cool:

Latest resources

Back