• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved I think the time has come - 8 new tires for me

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We often hear age out before we will actually wear them out. In the picture I posted you can see the tread loss from 60K/6 years. My last FL visit the tech said something about wear markers, it's time for new. The tread looked plenty deep and talking with the tire shop months ago that changed my tires he discussed measurements, etc. Moot point but you can definitely see the tread difference and I dare say I was probably closer to wearing out vs. aging out on these.

You got your moneys worth from your original set of tires….

With the cow pasture behind me (the smell finally gone) I'm very happy with how the Toyo's are driving. When I left Asheville there was a vibration in the front over 60'ish, what the heck. Okay, maybe it's the roads. Do I have a bent axle? I know they are spin balanced, I watched them, I have centramatics, are the centramatics causing this? Drive and analysis continued, into Tennessee now, ehh, keeping on going, then into Kentucky, a state that seems to know how to do roads right! Ahhh, nice and smooth, love it. So yeah, roads can be the problem, KY does more concrete I believe, for whatever reason, and very smooth.

I read on Facebook yesterday, or this morning, who knows...about another person that had issues with runouts on Michelin's and fought this like I did and in the end Michelin replaced all of his tires under warranty. Yeah, a little confirmation bias, i.e. I chose Toyo's but I'm beginning to think Michelin light truck tires (i.e. for RV's) may not be as great as we want to give them credit for. I will be staying with Toyo's unless something in the future makes me think otherwise.

I’ve had a lot of issues with balancing of new tires. Different brands bought at different places. Just seems tire quality isn’t as good as it use to be. I had just bought a set of new tires for pickup truck. I never could get them balanced right. Installers don’t really check for out of round when installing. I ended up trueing the tires and now there smooth as glass.

My search to replace the two fronts has begun. I currently have Goodyear G670's (all 2019) on all 4 corners. The right front started making noise so upon inspection, there's a flat spot on the outer 2 1/2 inches of the tread to the side wall.... almost like a chunk was carved off? I've got quotes from FMCA for Michelin and Goodyear but the local Goodyear dealer has a better price and I can't find an installer for the Michelin's. Finding alternatives is a challenge, mostly because the local guys I've asked will only install what they sell!

Not exactly a direct comparision but I bought new tires for my wife's car three and a half years ago and I honestly didn't think we'd own it for another year but we still do. I didn't want to put $900 worth of tires on a $2500 car so I found the best rated ones on Amazon and had them shipped to me. The local tire place doesn't care if they're working on tires they sold or not, the labor seems to be the same quality and price regardless. They have been exceptional with only really slick roads being at or worse traction than the Dunlops they replaced. We only see really slick roads for about 24 hours every two years so I can live with that. The big name manufacturers need some entry level competition sometimes to help them realign with what made them big in the first place.

Amazon product ASIN B00AOJN23Y

Latest resources

Back